Coopers Community

Just need a little help...

Bangers

Hi all, I've just recently bought a DIY kit and made my first batch. I just have a couple of questions if anyone can help (I have searched through here already)

How is 7.46 calculated for ABV?

From using the ingredients and instructions in the kit, the ABV I have got is 3.2% max, seems low to me compared to other lagers I usually buy, which are usually 4.6% or so. Just wondering if maybe I made some kind of mistake which is easily seen by someone more experienced?

Cheers

Hi Bangers welcome to the forum.

If you've made the Lawnmower Lager from the DIY kit, then the alcomohol content is about right. You will find the recipe in the "Midstrength" section.

The brew enhancer with the kit contains the following:

Brew Enhancer 2 - 50% dextrose, 25% maltodextrin, 25% light dry malt

That equates to 500g Dextrose, 250g Maltodextrin adn 250g light dry malt.

Using the ingredients above in the magic spreadsheet it gives 3.8% in the bottle (about 0.5% comes from the bottle conditioning.

Regarding your question

How is 7.46 calculated for ABV?

That will depend on the OG and FG. For an OG of 1.067 and FG 1.01 the ABV will be about 7.48%

Just to throw a spanner in the works, that is not entirely correct. however, I expect it would be for you.

The correct formula is:

OG - FG / 7.46 = % Alcohol By Volume (ABV)

If bottling with approx 6g sugar then add .5% to the total.

Nevertheless, even though correct I am just being anal [bandit]

and for those who don't know how many standard drinks you are brewing then here is the formula for this:

Volume of container in litres x %ABV x .789 = Standard Drinks

Therefore, assuming you have a 330ml stubbie which is 5.2% ABV we get:

.330 x 5.2 x .789 = 1.35 standard drinks. [rightful]

and for those who don't know how many standard drinks you are brewing then here is the formula for this:

Or have a look at this link R U ****

That's handy! I actually worked out a 375mL stubby of 5.4% with Bill's formula being about 1.59 standard drinks, with the formula on that link it came out at 1.62. To get the same figure as that website I changed the .789 in the formula to .8. Whether it makes a lot of difference who knows.

Cheers,

Kelsey

Or have a look at this link R U ****

That isn't a bad link Scott. However, I don't think the formula is accurate. Why I say this is because it is relying on the "approximate measure" of 12.5ml or 13.5ml or whatever it maybe in any specific country.

The formula I provided to work out a standard drink is can be used anywhere in the world without the need to know the particular measures. Also it goes on the Specific Gravity of Ethyl Alcohol which is 0.789 and it is this that is what gets you drunk. [rightful]

Archived