Coopers Community

My lambic

GrahamB8

Hi guys,

Im starting to think about bottling my lambic but worried about the pellicle on the surface, a little history.

February 2011

2 cans of Coopers wheat fermented down with champagne yeast for a week. Put into secondary on top of a liquid Lambic blend smack pack from craftbrewer.

Tonight I have taken a gravity reading and its coming out about 1.001 and tastes exactly what I wanted, medium sour laced with brett, clear and golden.

I know this is typical in the third month or so and I had such a mold but it did drop out.

I will be bottling this in the next day or two and will thoroughly inspect the mold when I crack the FV lid unless someone tells me this layer will drop out over more time.

Another question whilst I have your attention, is it possible/advisable to harvest the bacteria as you would for yeast? This was the product. http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=1630

Cheers

Until I read your post Graham I wasn't sure what a lambic was, but have since read up on it. Sounds interesting.

Alas, I cannot help, but I am keen to hear how it goes.

You should try one Adam, its nothing you have ever tasted before and certainly not for everyone. If you feel the need to try one may I suggest the 'Cantillon Gueuze' its probably one of the more extreme examples and is a blend of 1, 2 and 3 year natural lambics.

Yeh I realised that after all the views and not a lot of responses, its not supprising, I was only introduced to it after asking the guy in the local boutique that I wanted to try something different, my eyes popped out of my head after tasting it [biggrin]

I've been speaking to a friend today and he suggested making another Lambic by fermenting 3kg of wheat extract with champagne yeast and aged hops, bottle half of the original Lambic and put the remaining over the top of the new stuff and let fester for another year.

Rinse and repeat a further year and I'll have something close to the famous Gueze blend, that way I can harvest 15 tallies/year for as long as I dare really as long as the Brettanomyces keep doing there dirty work all should be good

You only want the antibacterial qualities from the hops and none of the bitterness, my understanding is that aged hops loose there bitterness, you obviously only use the hops as you would for bittering in this case a 90min boil.

Archived