Coopers Community

My brewing journey thus far...

GarethB1

OK! So I got my DIY kit for Christmas and love it, can't stop brewing, and here's my self-indulgent thread in which I tell you all about it! ENTHUSIASM!

#1 - The Original Lager that came with the kit. Naturally being the first go, we drank it way early and it tasted like pizza dough. The temps were too high when I brewed it, I think around 32 degrees dropping to 27 but it was a fun first effort, it got progressively nicer to drink with time.

#2 - The Unreal Ale recipe. Awesome. Ran around like a headless chook trying to bring the temperature down, which must have worked. Possibly the nicest one I've done yet. Rave reviews from Wife, Family, Friends.

#3 - Cerveza Mid-strength recipe (Aztec Gold). A disappointment. To begin with it tasted like beer flavoured water, very underwhelming. Naturally it got better with time but still very average.

#4 - Canadian Blonde with honey: Strawberry Blonde recipe (I think). Great Success! Best head retention yet, clear blonde beer, the honey gave it a touch of the bees knees. Drank in record time due to much entertaining of guests and plying them with it. Only bad thing was it was a bit inconsistent in that some bottles had the honey taste and somehow it was missing in a few others.

#5 - Irish Ale recipe. Cracked one a few days early from the 2 week mark, wife loves it, proclaims it the best one yet. Just getting stuck into it now. Again the syrup seems to add something really good to this, like the honey did to the Canadian Blonde.

#6 - Old Spiced. I've been dying to do a darker beer, so here it is, in the FV at the moment to be bottled tomorrow, unsure of how it's going to turn out as I'm not so sure about the cinnamon, might have been better just going with the Dark Ale Wort and BE2. We'll see.

Next it'll be either the Australian Pale Ale or English Bitter. Going to do the Original series Stout soon, and then get stuck into the Thomas Coopers fancy looking ones.

Cheers

Gareth

i hate to burst your bubble dude - but if you've managed 6 brews in the 9 or so weeks since christmas, your brews could probably do with some extra time in the fermenter.

my fermenter hasn't been empty since i got it the day after boxing day for more than one night, and i bottle my fourth brew tonight.

Gareth, glad to see you enjoying the hobby. It's quite addictive, isn't it?

The Australian Pale Ale and English Bitter are both great kits; two of my favourites. What are you planning on doing with them?

i hate to burst your bubble dude - but if you've managed 6 brews in the 9 or so weeks since christmas, your brews could probably do with some extra time in the fermenter.

my fermenter hasn't been empty since i got it the day after boxing day for more than one night, and i bottle my fourth brew tonight.

That really depends Andy. Without having to go through my notes, I have actually done about 12 Ales and 1 lager since Xmas and currently have another 3 fermenting away nicely [innocent] [whistling [whistling [whistling

i hate to burst your bubble dude quote]

There's around 75 days since Xmas. I tend to bottle after 10 days in the FV, I find that the kit yeast finishes the job in around 5 days (given the OG I attain) and this gives 5 days to clean up. This gives time for 7 1/2 brews, so I don't think Gareth is being overly impatient. My worst brew to date (Dr. S's GA) was in the FV for 12 days.

I don't think Gareth is being overly impatient.

I totally agree.

As a new brewer myself, I find it hard to keep my dirty mitts off the bottles too.

Fair enough, the brew might taste better with age, and I've kept a few bottles of each brew so that I can see the difference later on, but for now I'll go mad and drink them way too early and dance and sing in the joy that my handmade beer brings me.

It's like when bread comes out of the oven, it will be better once it has had a chance to cool a bit, but we still can't help cutting off a few warm slices to guzzle down while we praise ouselves on the fine job we did.

Well done Gareth, and I hope that all of your brews are too tasty to wait for. I know mine have been, and some day, maybe not today, and maybe not tomorrow, we'll also get a bit bored and actually wait for our brews to age before drinking them...

For now, learn, brew, bottle, drink! [biggrin]

all fair comments...

apparently i should be brewing quicker :P

i did have a honey porter sit in the fermenter for 19 days all up, so that's slowed me down a bit...

and to be fair to your comment Andy, I do brew 3 at a time most times. It just depends on the individual circumstances [innocent]

• 2 months later...

OH HAI!

Thanks for all responses to this thread, here is my response and update.

Firstly, I do hear what you're saying Andy, I do. I am impatient and time-poor, but I do plan on leaving brews to ferment for longer in future.

Since the Old Spiced Dark Ale (which BTW was amazing) I did Pale Ale, English Bitter and Coopers Stout.

The Pale Ale was good, but I was expecting more, will give it another go and try and get it better.

English Bitter I did with the Molasses as per the "Smooth Bitter" recipe online. The Molasses was kind of overpowering, it was good but I want to give this kit another go with a different slant.

The Original Series Stout: F$cking Awesome. Drinking one as we speak. I'm trying to leave a few to age.

ALSO!!! In amongst these Coopers Brews, I was foolish enough to slum it and attempt a Tooheys Special Lager brew. It was near the Coopers at Kmart and was a bit cheaper, so I picked up the ingredients whilst getting some Coopers stuff.

First Brew I've ever chucked. I left it in the fermenter for probably about two weeks, because it was scary. The yeast was clumpy and sick looking sitting on the top of the wort. Whenever I opened the lid to have a smell, it smelt like industrial paint-stripper.

I don't know if I was at fault or the Tooheys, to be honest, but I've never had this happen with the Coopers stuff. Never again.

Currently have a Thomas Cooper's Traditional Draught brewing, with another Unreal Ale and a Sparkling Ale to go after that. Found a brewing supplies store in Perth that has the Thomas Coopers good stuff with cheaper shipping than the Coopers website.

Cheers and good brews doodzzzz

Nice quick journey Gareth! I've been doing it a few months longer but only just done my 5th brew.

3 of your first 4 I've done (Unreal Ale, starter kit lager, Strawberry blonde). Want to do European Lager (Green Neck) or Pilsener next, and then Mexican Cerveza. Have a nice stock of brews for the warmer months ;-)

Archived