Coopers Community

Coopers Sparkling Ale - 8 days - SG 1.024?

JRR

Hi Brothers & Sisters,

I'm a little concerned about the Specific Gravity Reading I'm getting with the Cooper's Sparkling Ale I have in the fermenting vessel. I started this brew with Reactivated Cooper's Commercial Ale Yeast. The Brew has been in the FV for Eight days now, at 22C \u2013 24C.

The SG is 1.024. (Yesterday's reading was about the same, a little hard to accurately read, it may have been a touch higher?) Is this too high? Perhaps the yeast has quit early? Should I leave it a couple more days, &/or pitch the yeast that came with the Sparkling Ale tin?

The brew was fermenting 'vigorously' over day 2 and 3, then slowed right down. No action out of the airlock after about day 3, but visible, active bubbles on the surface. It is still quite 'frothy' on the surface now.

Ingredients Used:

1.7kg Thomas Coopers Sparkling Ale

1.5kg Thomas Coopers Light Malt

500g Coopers Light Dry Malt

250g Dextrose

250g Gem spray/Corn Syrup (pack bought from LHBS)

The Brew looks, smells and tastes fine (I tried a little while collecting the SG sample).

Any advice would be appreciated,

thanks,

-J

What was the OG of this brew? I should think up near 1.060 - 65?

How much yeast did you pitch to begin with?

Lots of people lately seem to be trying to re-culture yeast without much knowlege of exactly how to do it and pitch the correct amount of viable yeast, Not saying this is you, but Id be looking in that direction.

Have you roused the yeast? Those temps are a bit high mate too...

Yob

Novice, under equipped home brewers like me must frustrate more knowledgable folk.

I'm not sure what the OG was, my hydrometer only reads as far as 1.040. I know it was way above that.

I didn't accurately measure the yeast I pitched. I can tell you that I reactivated the yeast from 3 Cooper's Pale Ale tallies. They contained about a couple of hundred millilitres each of sugary water and yeast. They were all very frothy when shaken.

I'm definitely one of the brewers having a muck around with re-cultured yeast without really knowing how to do it.

First thing you need to do is get a decent hydrometer. You should be able to pick one up at any homebrew store for about 12-14 dollars, although you can order them cheaper from overseas. Of course, unlike the virtually unbreakable ones that come with coopers fermenters, these will be glass and are pretty fragile, so be careful with them.

Here are some examples:

http://www.eckraus.com/triple-scale-hydrometer.html

https://bellsbeer.com/store/products/Hydrometer-%252d-Triple-Scale-Beer-%26-Wine.html

http://www.store.homebrew4less.com/prodinfo.asp?number=LD5451&variation=

http://www.grainandgrape.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=1_30_38&products_id=7461

A decent hydrometer is definitely on the list. My first one hit the floor and smashed to pieces a couple of weeks ago. I bought the current one in Woolworths - it's probably better than nothing, but not much...

JRR, most likely you didn't pitch enough yeast to get the job done. It's a fairly big beer you have there.

Do you still have the yeast that came with the kit?

If it was me I would pitch that yeast to finish it off. There isn't much left to ferment.

it really is a common mistake, I also suffered through a brew with recultured yeast not understanding how much I needed, in a recent topic HERE I outlined and linked some good methods, resources, it's a shame as the ingredients you used are right on the money, well except for a distinct lack of hops [roll]

underpitch = under attenuation and stressed yeast, sorry mate, I dont think this one will be memorable for the right reasons [crying]

Damn, thats the third time in a few weeks Ive told someone that.

I advise a little research into YEAST STARTERS and RINSING YEAST and have a listen to ALL of the episodes in brewstrong, here is one on REPITCHING YEAST

and another on RINSING YEAST - Brew Strong...

after listening to, and reading all the links provided, many things became clearer to me.

Research makes the beer brew stronger.

Good Luck mate, and 3 things, Research, Test, Apply..

I might have to think about putting a few of those links in my signature line [lol]

Yob

I'll take another SG reading in the morning, if all appears to be stable, I'll pitch the packet yeast.

I'll also make time to read up on the yeast reculture information provided. I really meant well when I attempted the commercial ale yeast trick.

thanks for your input,

-J

Would anyone be able to estimate the Final Gravity i should be achieving, with this beer?

Ingredients Used:

1.7kg Thomas Coopers Sparkling Ale

1.5kg Thomas Coopers Light Malt

500g Coopers Light Dry Malt

250g Dextrose

250g Gem spray/Corn Syrup (pack bought from LHBS)

24.5Litres in FV

thanks,

-J

JRR - don't feel down about it, you have still made a drinkable beer and no doubt you will improve on the methods.

Keep your chin up and get on with the learning process. There is much to learn and the obvjective is to enjoy what you do along the way. If you need any help just post your issue and someone will guide you in the right direction.

Here's looking at your next brew [wink]

No worries, Bill, I'll dry my eyes and put it behind me. The learning curve is steep, but definitely enjoyable. I haven't been this keen on a project in a long time.

I need to learn more about re-culturing commercial yeast, for a start.

What do you reckon the consequence would be of pitching the packet yeast, as opposed to not, and just bottling this brew? The SG is high, but stable.

J, I highly recommend getting that spreadsheet I posted the link for. It's a great help when you're a noob like me :) It will tell you what to expect the OG and FG to be (it gives a range for what the particular style should be too).

You have to register on that forum to download it. Or, shoot me an email and I can email it to you.

+1 for that spreadsheet

What do you reckon the consequence would be of pitching the packet yeast' date=' as opposed to not, and just bottling this brew? The SG is high, but stable.[/quote']

If you were kegging then it would be fine but if bottling then you might be very lucky and get away with it. However, with a high gravity reading as such you are likely to arouse the Yeast during the transfer (hrrrm arouse, I like that word [innocent]) which in turn may kick off fermentation again. Now if this happens it will mean you will highly likely get some bottle bombs/grenades due to the excess carbonation the yeast will produce in your bottles. However, using PET bottles help in the fact that you wont have glass everywhere when they explode.

For what it is worth, and since you have already given it a bit of a swirl, I'd do what Hairy suggested and throw another yeast packet at it. You can use the one that come in the kit if you still have it.

Hi Adam,

Could you please email me the Magic Spreadsheet? When I try to register with Aussiehomebrewer, I keep getting an error message.

not sure what this is about, but I'll keep trying,

thanks,

-J

Archived