Coopers Community

Humidity issue?

AdamH1525226084

Hola

I just put down my Fruit Salad Ale kit. In hindsight I shoulda waited for a dry evening to do it. It's about 20 degrees and 95% humidity [pinched]

Problem 1 - my garage is down some steps, and with the rain it was a lil slippery, with a saucepan of hot hop tea.

Problem 2 - I think the humidity caused some issues with the light dry malt. I poured my hope tea into the FV where the malt was waiting and ended up with some lovely big chunks that wouldn't dissolve [crying] . Ended up putting everything back in the saucepan and onto the heat to try and dissolve it (not too hot to drive off the oils I hope). It worked, but I ended up tossing a small nugget of malt. In hindsight I shoulda just mixed the malt into the hop tea in the saucepan.

Problem 3 Discovered there are some leaks in the roof, and hoping they didn't drip into the FV - could also be why the malt solidified.

It smells delicious though, and tastes "fruity". Here's hoping it's all OK [unsure]

Not sure about the roof water dripping n the FV but the rest should be fine.

Sometimes dry malt clumps, especially in warm/hot water. I would have just left the clumps in there as it would eventually dissolve and will ferment out.

The only thing it really affects is your OG reading.

I find mixing dry malt in cold water helps reduce the clumping.

Archived