Coopers Community

First Time: 4 days and still foam on top

NathanB7

I'm new to home brewing but I'm very interesting to learn it. So my wife got me the Lager DYI kit.

about 24 liters in the container, leaving the temp around 21-22 degrees. My first SG reading was 1034.

Four days go by and there is still foam on top. Is this normal? Also I noticed there may be sediment on the bottom of the container. Is this normal, or maybe I didn't mix everything well enough?

Thanks for any advice.

What you have described is very normal. Big head of bubbles on top and a layer of sediment on the bottom.

The head will collapse into the brew and all the yeast and other stuff will fall to the bottom and the brew will start to clear and by day 10 after 2 days of steady gravity readings its ready to bottle.

Go on YouTube to see a time laps of how a beer ferments...its magic[happy]

I just went through the same thing, I am also on my first Lager brew. Day 6 now my Lager brew is starting to clear up and not very much foam on the top anymore.

My FG reading is 1.015 (day 6) will keep testing until it stops changing. My OG reading was 1.038.

Brew temp stays at 24C for this batch, I will try a lower temp (closer to 20C) on my next Lager brew in my 2nd coopers diy kit so-posed to arrive Monday.

Also Someone replied to my post and said that Lager taste better after at least a month of aging in the bottle.

The OS Lager you get with DIY kit has an ale yeast not a proper lager strain. Thats why recomends higher temps close to 20. But yeah it will be drinkable in a month where if used a Lager strain 3 months is recomended to get rid of the eggy smell and taste some people describe it as. Good luck with it there is plenty pf info on this site have a browse when got some time.

Sounds pretty much identical to my experience so far.

Best suggestion? put the fermenter in some suitable place where you won't notice it. My first brews were in the kitchen and I kept poking, prodding, sniffing, peeking, measuring and worrying about them. Park it somewhere in a nice environment, visit every day or three (or week for that matter), and trust those little yeast dudes to carry out the work they were trained for over a zillion generations.

The OS Lager you get with DIY kit has an ale yeast not a proper lager strain.

Anyone know if the "European lager" uses the same yeast as the regular kit lager?

I'm new to home brewing but I'm very interesting to learn it. So my wife got me the Lager DYI kit.

about 24 liters in the container, leaving the temp around 21-22 degrees. My first SG reading was 1034.

Four days go by and there is still foam on top. Is this normal? Also I noticed there may be sediment on the bottom of the container. Is this normal, or maybe I didn't mix everything well enough?

Thanks for any advice.

The one I have in at the moment has been in for 9 days and still has a good 1cm Krausen (foam) on top. It's finished fermenting but the krausen hasn't gone. Nothing to worry about though [joyful]

Archived