Coopers Community

Need Ginger Beer advice from Muddy (or other GB brewers)

Brewers

I know Muddy has brewed a few Gingers and I am looking for some advice. So far this slow train is a PITA. I put this one down on February 3 as per How To Brew Instructions i.e the kit and 1 kg of Raw Sugar. The OG was 1.027 with the kit yeast pitched at 23'C. Temps came down over the next two days to 18'C.

After 5 days it had a little foam but an SG of 1.027. I let it warm up to 22'C. I have been testing it too often and today is is still sitting at 1.006. It tastes sweet and this leads me to belive that it isn't finished, besides ABV is only 3.3% bottled and the recipe predicts 3.6%.

What OG and SG did you achieve? It isn't that I am worried about the ABV, this batch is for SWMBO, I just don't want to bottle sugary water. I am also concerned that there won't be enough yeast activity to carb the bottles [annoyed] .

Do you think I should pitch another yeast? I have a spare Ale yeast from the Draught kit. [unsure]

Hi Nelson/Scott

I did one a few weeks ago and my FG was 1.000. But, I added too much water (I think I went to 23L, but recipe is to 19L)

Final product tastes OK - not great though. I even added more ginger at the start to try and get more bite, but there is a sickly sweet taste, like you get with artificial sweeteners [sad] Don't know if it's more prominent because of the extra water.

There is adequate fizz in my (for SWMBO) batch.

It's not too bad with some lemon or lime in the glass and lots of ice.

I think the brewing temp was around 22 degrees.

Thanks Adam

I was thinking I should be around 1.000, I tested a non alcoholic GB at 1.005. I just tested again using a glass hydro and it reads 1.004. (My plasytic hydro used to read .005 high but I calibrated it last week). Anyway 1.004 gives 3.58%, I may look to bottle them on Friday and sit them in the garage, just in case. After nearly 3 weeks I am having withdrawal symptoms from brewing beer and I am really keen to start my Bushy Park Blonde/Pale Ale experiment.

I don't know much about Ginger Beer Scott but if you are a little worried' date=' throw an old towel/blanket over them or wrap them in gladwrap. This will help contain the mess if the worst is to happen.[/quote']

You can sense my fear [ninja] . I have bottled around 600 bottles so far without incident [cool] . I don't want this good run to come to an end [pouty].

Somewhat relevant, I made a brigolow's ginger beer kit, Mind you I added 1kg raw sugar and 1kgBE2, But I found that initially was slow to ferment and s.g stayed high until later into fermentation. Brewed it on the 11/2/12 and bottled it today. Im not sure if this is more so coincidence but I kept it 20'c for the first 5 days? but found it fermented better at 22-24 (wont find out for sure until tasting comes around)

OG - 1.036, FG -1.002

Anyway possibly irrelevant information but I tried.

Rae

Hi Nelson - Most of my GBs have got down to about 1000 (Though my notes suggest one only got down to 1004). My notes aren't great for my GBs as I only really keep extensive notes for the important stuff (Beer [love] ).

I'd probably bottle it myself - I tend to put GB in old PET softdrink bottles so bottle bombs has never been an issue (not that I've ever had an overcarbed GB).

A word of warning - they can sometimes take a couple of months to carb up.

Thanks Gents.

The good news is that the foam is clearing up and it's beginning to look like a "normal brew".

Bottling into PET is not an option as this brew is for SWMBO who is mostly a "one standard drink" a day person, 750ml PET would result in waste. As fror carbing at least it will be bottled bfore winter!

Thanks Gents.

The good news is that the foam is clearing up and it's beginning to look like a "normal brew".

Bottling into PET is not an option as this brew is for SWMBO who is mostly a "one standard drink" a day person, 750ml PET would result in waste. As for carbing at least it will be bottled bfore winter!

Hi there everyone, I am new to brewing and also have a question about Coopers Ginger Beer.

I am getting ready to put down my second batch of Coopers Ginger Beer but I am going to add extra sugars to boost the alcohol percentage up to between 6-7%. I have read that brewers yeast only works up to 5% and I am unsure what type of yeast comes in the Coopers Ginger Beer Can. My question is what type of yeast should I use and how much for a 18L Brew with an alcohol percentage of between 6-7%, and how long do you think it would take to finish fermenting? My first Batch (18L in a 25L tub)at 3.8% took 9 days at around 22 deg C and it was a very active fermentation, as I had to use a blow off tube as foam was coming up through the vapor lock.

Cheers

Evil Clown

Naturally conditioned bevvies hold their fizz quite nicely for at least a day - if already chilled' date=' opened, half emptied, resealed and placed back into the fridge. [cool']

I have noticed this with the non alcoholic ginger beer, my 11 year old son can take up to 3 days to finish one. Hence my other problem, I can't have alcoholic and non alcoholic GBs in the same bottles in the same fridge. But I am confident that my GB has finished fermenting, it is looking more stagnant by the hour. I will most likely leave it to Sunday to bottle and hope that there is enough yeast viability to carb it.

Archived