Coopers Community

Alcoholic Ginger Beer - Bubbling to the top

LynetteS

Hi Everyone

I made ginger beer on Saturday, as per a recipe I found on here, it has now bubbled up to the top of my fermenter, should I wait till the bubbles go down before I remove the collar or just remove the collar now with the bubbles? It's now Thursday.

Hey mate i beleive your talking about the new DIY Fermenter with clips and no airlock?

I have the old style one but i beleive its recomended to remove once the Foam has collapsed back into brew before removing purely to clean the stan it leaves on FV easier. I would leave it as the lid is there to stop the foam going any further.

What temp is your brew on? try to keep close to 20 degrees celcius. Good luck

Hey Jimmius

Thanks for the advice. Yes, using the new fermenter. It's sitting at about 24-26 degrees at the moment, I can't really see it dropping at the moment it seems to stay about the same temperature at the weather man predicts for Sydney.

I have never made a ginger beer before but im guessing you wont notice the funky flavours in that as much for the gingery taste might mask it. Dont quote me on it just a guess. A simple method i use for temperature controll is placing the FV in a large tub of water stole a storage container offf the missus. 1/3 to half fill with water then use frozen ice blocks. Such as milk containers and used fizzy drink bottles filled with water and frozen. Replace as often as need to to cool water and Fv. But if you can get a brew fridge even better [biggrin]

The Ginger Beer kit can behave a bit differently [sideways]

It often forms very large bubbles that hang around for the entire fermentation period. So, leave the KK in, if you like.

It also tends to remain cloudy.

The Ginger Beer kit can behave a bit differently

Must be true. Mine has been down since last Friday, at 18'C, very little activity after 3 days, although lots of bubbles in sample (impossible to degass) but constant SG. Has a part Krausen now, hoping it doesn't decide to go like Lynette's as I left my Collar off for this brew. A little frustrated as it is tying up my FV [pinched]

Also makes the FV smell like ginger for a while - wondering if my next brew will have a ginger taint in it

I'm wondering if it will ever finish so that I can do "a next brew" [roll] .

Day 8 and SG is 1.019. Foamy but not as thick as a normal Krausen and certainly not pushing up to the lid.

I've made many GBs in my time but find they tend to need 3-4 weeks in the fermentor - Don't rush them or you may pay for it later (not a problem if bottling in PET though).

Adam - I find the GB is never great (I've made many versions with many different additions). Mostly they need a lsug of lemonade to make them palatable.

Archived