Coopers Community

How will my James Squire Golden ale turn out?

Hello everyone, I found an old recipe in this forum for the JS Golden Ale by Dr Smurto

Recipe
1 tin Thomas Coopers Sparkling Ale
1.5kg Coopers pale liquid malt extract
15g Amarillo@ 15mins
15g Amarillo@ 5 mins
15g Amarillo dry hopped in secondary

Kit yeast

Recipe does not indicate a final gravity, so I have a few questions,

1. OG was 1.042 and after 4 days the SG seems to have stabilised at around 1.015 (its now Day 7) today its 1.014. Is that too soon to stabilise at 4 days? Do I need to do anything else? I have kept the brew temp at around 18-19 Deg C.

2. As today is day 7, I dry hopped the final 15 grams of the Amarillo hops and I am going to keep the brew going for another 7 days (as in the recipe) . Do I need to control the temp like I did the last week or can I unplug the heat pad? 

The sample  (SG 1.014) I took today tastes good, but will the alcohol level be a bit low?

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, XP Falcon said:

Hello everyone, I found an old recipe in this forum for the JS Golden Ale by Dr Smurto

Recipe
15g Amarillo@ 15mins
15g Amarillo@ 5 mins

Kit yeast

1. OG was 1.042 and after 4 days the SG seems to have stabilised at around 1.015 (its now Day 7) today its 1.014. Is that too soon to stabilise at 4 days? Do I need to do anything else? I have kept the brew temp at around 18-19 Deg C.

2. As today is day 7, I dry hopped the final 15 grams of the Amarillo hops and I am going to keep the brew going for another 7 days (as in the recipe) . Do I need to control the temp like I did the last week or can I unplug the heat pad? 

The sample  (SG 1.014) I took today tastes good, but will the alcohol level be a bit low?

I would keep the temperature constant for the remaining 7 days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, XP Falcon said:

but will the alcohol level be a bit low?

Around 4.5% if bottled.

4%  ish if kegged.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, XP Falcon said:

Recipe
15g Amarillo@ 15mins
15g Amarillo@ 5 mins

Kit yeast

1.014 may very well be as far as it goes. Leave the temps for another 3 days or so. At this stage, temperature isn't that important anymore but you still want to give the yeast a chance to do whatever is left to do. 

Should be a tasty beer. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, XP Falcon said:

Recipe
15g Amarillo@ 15mins
15g Amarillo@ 5 mins

Kit yeast

I love that you have found and resurrected this old recipe @XP Falcon. I didn't mind a cold a Chancer or ten meself back in the day. 😉 😋🍺 🍺 
I'll be interested to hear of your tasting results cobber 🤔- well done on the hunt and resurrection 👏

• Like 4