Coopers Community

Yeasty

Posted (edited)

Is it possible to use too much or too little yeast in a brew. I was looking at splitting a single 23lt brew in two Mr Beer fermenters.

Can I use a 7g yeast sachet in each keg or do I try and divide a single yeast packet evenly into two.

Example: Mr Beer has a very small range of extracts, I have a 23lt keg for larger brews, but I want to use the Mr Beer fermenters as they will then become redundant.

Cheers!

Edited by Foot
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Foot said:

Is it possible to use too much or too little yeast in a brew. I was looking at splitting a single 23lt brew in two Mr Beer fermenters.

Can I use a 7g yeast sachet in each keg or do I try and divide a single yeast packet evenly into two.

Example: Mr Beer has a very small range of extracts, I have a 23lt keg for larger brews, but I want to use the Mr Beer fermenters as they will then become redundant.

Cheers!

Too little yes. Too much, not really. Better more than less with yeast.

I'd use a 7g pack for each 11 litres.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Foot said:

Cheers!

I agree with @Pale Man it is better to use enough yeast to ferment out the brew, you can even use some of the other commercial yeast packets, some of the are 11g.

If you are adding more fermentables such as extra malt, grain additions etc. it pays to have a little more yeast.

Why would the fermenters become redundant?

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks all, I divided a 23 litre Lager brew into two Mr Beer kegs and then added a 7g Yeast into each keg, seemed to ferment okay without any heating indoors.

Give it a month for the taste test.

Cheers! 

• Like 2