Coopers Community

ROTM Schwarzbeer

I’m just curious if someone did their kit already? As I assembled the ingredients myself and my LHBS gave me Chocolate malt instead of Carafa1 I am curious about the OG. Mine was 1048. Dropping the temperature now to 12degrees to pitch with Mangrove Jack Bavarian Lager yeast. As the recommend temperature is 8-14 degrees I think I’ll go with 10 to ferment.

• Like 2

Yes, mine is in the ferment fridge, used Carafa 1, OG came in at 1049.

Trimmed a bit off the fermentables to reduce the ABV a tad.

Will give it a taste in about 5 weeks.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

My fermentation has pretty much finished at 1.019 so it will be interesting to see how low you guys can go.  I'm about to go and check it again this morning to see if it really has stopped working or not.

Edit:  I stand corrected.  Now dropped to 1.016 after a 3 day stall at 1.019 and temperature now dropped back to around 13'C.  Target range of 1.010 - 1.015 now looks achievable.  If it looks like it's finished high, wait.

Edited by glivo
Updated information.

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

bringing the temp up to 12 degrees might be better that's not very good in 5 days even for a lager

Set it to 12 degrees yesterday arvo, let’s see and wait 

Edited by Brauhaus Fritz II
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Brauhaus Fritz II said:

It’s on 1016 now. Started raising the temperature to 15 degrees. 

If you are raising the temperature for a d-rest, go for higher. I usually ferment lagers at 13 in a conventional fermenter and leave it there until it hits about 1.020, then I increase it to 18 and let it finish before I ramp the temperature down again at a 3C/day rate to get it to CC temps. The ramping isn't strictly necessary but it prevents heat shock. I only do it for lagers to avoid any flavours I may not like. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

If you are raising the temperature for a d-rest, go for higher. I usually ferment lagers at 13 in a conventional fermenter and leave it there until it hits about 1.020, then I increase it to 18 and let it finish before I ramp the temperature down again at a 3C/day rate to get it to CC temps. The ramping isn't strictly necessary but it prevents heat shock. I only do it for lagers to avoid any flavours I may not like. 

will go to 18 today, have to connect the heat belt, as the ambient temperature is only 15 degrees, the weather is shocking

20 minutes ago, Brauhaus Fritz II said:

will go to 18 today, have to connect the heat belt, as the ambient temperature is only 15 degrees, the weather is shocking

Sounds like you have lager temperatures right there 😀 Nova would be quite happy at that temp.

• Haha 1

Like my place.  Ambient temp in my shed reached 14'C today.  My brew finished at 1.016 so I'll be interested to see if you get further.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/6/2024 at 8:09 PM, glivo said:

Like my place.  Ambient temp in my shed reached 14'C today.  My brew finished at 1.016 so I'll be interested to see if you get further.

Bottled mine yesterday. FG 1014. Left it for 3 days on 18 degrees.

IMG_1237.jpeg

Edited by Brauhaus Fritz II
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...