Coopers Community

Ageing in a fermenter - which type is best?

I'm planning a porter I want to give an aged barrel feel to. I've done some digging on the topic and figured out how I am going to do this in the absence of an old rum barrel. I'll basically brew the porter and let it ferment for a week, by which time it should be done and dusted. I will then tack it into a 2nd fermenter, which will get a bag with rum soaked rum barrel oak chips added to it and then left for about four weeks to re-create that rum barrel flavour. From what I hear four weeks is a good time span for this without things getting overbearing. The only thing I haven't worked out is which fermenter to use for aging. Generally, I like the Coopers fermenters for their ease of use and with an active fermentation going on, they're perfectly safe. Higher pressure inside will prevent air from coming in and when in a stable temperature environment, there is no flow back of air. However, in an ambient environment, where the temperature will change a few degrees up and down, this is a different story, especially with no fermentation going on. Would one of those fermenters be suitable for the job? What if I taped it up? Should I reactivate the old screw lid fermenter I still have? The airlock hole is taped over and the lid can be tightened to prevent air from getting in. I'm also worried about oxygen exposure. I can't purge the FV with CO2 and basically the entire top third of the FV will be regular air with its 21% oxygen. Not ideal conditions to store. I don't want to tie up the FermZilla for 4 weeks, although that would probably be a good solution. Maybe rack into a cube and "commando oak?" That would reduce oxygen exposure significantly.

But maybe I am just overcomplicating things. Any idea how I can tackle this?

• Like 1

Maybe transfer when it has a few points left to go so it will fill up the headspace with CO2 for you? As far as fermenters to limit oxygen. Glass with a bung would be best but with 4 weeks only i think plastic would be fine. If was 2 or 3 months + i would be more concerned personally. Thats my 2 cents.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

I'm planning a porter I want to give an aged barrel feel to. I've done some digging on the topic and figured out how I am going to do this in the absence of an old rum barrel. I'll basically brew the porter and let it ferment for a week, by which time it should be done and dusted. I will then tack it into a 2nd fermenter, which will get a bag with rum soaked rum barrel oak chips added to it and then left for about four weeks to re-create that rum barrel flavour. From what I hear four weeks is a good time span for this without things getting overbearing. The only thing I haven't worked out is which fermenter to use for aging. Generally, I like the Coopers fermenters for their ease of use and with an active fermentation going on, they're perfectly safe. Higher pressure inside will prevent air from coming in and when in a stable temperature environment, there is no flow back of air. However, in an ambient environment, where the temperature will change a few degrees up and down, this is a different story, especially with no fermentation going on. Would one of those fermenters be suitable for the job? What if I taped it up? Should I reactivate the old screw lid fermenter I still have? The airlock hole is taped over and the lid can be tightened to prevent air from getting in. I'm also worried about oxygen exposure. I can't purge the FV with CO2 and basically the entire top third of the FV will be regular air with its 21% oxygen. Not ideal conditions to store. I don't want to tie up the FermZilla for 4 weeks, although that would probably be a good solution. Maybe rack into a cube and "commando oak?" That would reduce oxygen exposure significantly.

But maybe I am just overcomplicating things. Any idea how I can tackle this?

The FermZilla sounds like the best option.  Depending on the volume, you could also use a keg.  One with a hook under the lid to tie a hop sock with the oak chips, so it is easier to remove the hop sock later.

Whatever you decide to use, I think it should be able to vent off excess pressure, just in case you get a tiny bit more fermentation.

• Like 2