Coopers Community

Electricity outtage/temperature drop mid-late ferment

I just got notice of an electricity outtage related to works scheduled for next week. Does anyone have any opinions or experience of the effects of a change in temperature during the mid to late stages of a ferment?

The yeast I am planning to ferment with is US-O5. I am brewing in a fermenting fridge so I expect any change in temperature would be very slow and gradual. I believe that the greatest risk from temperature changes is in the early stages of fermentation. The scheduled works/outtage would happen on day 5 or 6.

Should I forge ahead or should I wait until after?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kegory said:

I just got notice of an electricity outtage related to works scheduled for next week. Does anyone have any opinions or experience of the effects of a change in temperature during the mid to late stages of a ferment?

The yeast I am planning to ferment with is US-O5. I am brewing in a fermenting fridge so I expect any change in temperature would be very slow and gradual. I believe that the greatest risk from temperature changes is in the early stages of fermentation. The scheduled works/outtage would happen on day 5 or 6.

Forge ahead on day 5 or 6 it would be finished and ready to be raised a couple of degrees celsius anyway

How long is the outage expected to be?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kegory said:

Just keep going. In the fridge, it will take a little longer for the temperature to change dramatically. It is fairly late in the actual fermentation stage, so I don't see a problem. If anything, it'll give the yeast a little boost. The temperature is more critical in the most vigorous stage of fermentation and if it warms up a little, it is like an unscheduled d-rest 🙂  RDWHAHB 🍻

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Just keep going. In the fridge, it will take a little longer for the temperature to change dramatically. It is fairly late in the actual fermentation stage, so I don't see a problem. If anything, it'll give the yeast a little boost. The temperature is more critical in the most vigorous stage of fermentation and if it warms up a little, it is like an unscheduled d-rest 🙂  RDWHAHB 🍻

Yeah, I agree, mine finished well under 2 days with S-04, in the fridge still but if the door is closed & not disturbed, it will be fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Forge ahead, Kegory. Fortunately they gave you warning. Depending on what your weather is like where you are you can make adjustments when the outage occurs. If it's going to be hot, place some ice bricks in the fermenting chamber or wrap the FV in a towel/blanket if it's going to be cold.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Beerdo said:

Forge ahead, Kegory. Fortunately they gave you warning. Depending on what your weather is like where you are you can make adjustments when the outage occurs. If it's going to be hot, place some ice bricks in the fermenting chamber or wrap the FV in a towel/blanket if it's going to be cold.

I had a bit of work done in the house, like getting a 15A socket installed, getting a 7kW charger installed for SWMBO's EV, etc. and it never had any impact on my beers. A few hours here and there really don't cause drama. A whole day or two is probably problematic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Back Brewing said:

Forge ahead on day 5 or 6 it would be finished and ready to be raised a couple of degrees celsius anyway

How long is the outage expected to be?

It could be up to 8 hours. Had one the other week that lasted four hours.