Coopers Community

Dark Ale Yeast

2 hours ago, davids47 said:

Going to make a a coopers dark ale with BE3 what yeast would you recommend to take it up a notch ?

I would suggest the supplied yeast is sufficient to brew a successful Dark Ale, otherwise Nottingham would be my choice.

LalBrew – Nottingham Ale Yeast is an English style ale yeast selected for its high performance ability and versatility. Traditional styles brewed with this yeast include but are not limited to Pale Ales, Ambers, Porters, Stouts and Barleywines.

nottingham-2.jpg

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 3

I would personally second @Classic Brewing Co’s suggestion of Lalbrew Nottingham as it goes off like a rocket easily and gets the job done well, but @Greenyinthewestofsydney suggestion of Safbrew S-04 is also a great time proven English ale yeast that does produce good beers, although it can be a bit finicky to work with.

This is presuming you want a coopers style dark ale at the end. If you want the beer its self to be something else there’s many options for different types of beer to try.

Edited by NBillett09
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, NBillett09 said:

@Greenyinthewestofsydney suggestion of Safbrew S-04 is also a great time proven English ale yeast that does produce good beers, although it can be a bit finicky to work with.

Yeah would not do it under 20c. At 20c it's fast and gives great traditional English flavours. At 18c it's a little blander and you risk a stall even though fermentis say it's OK at that temperature 

• Like 3