Coopers Community

Molasses Dark Milk Stout

Hi All

Have been wishing to try this extract recipe for some time, its a bit volcanic in the ferment, but no disasters.  The final brew is like a Black Hole, and draws all visable light into it, with a creamy off white head.  The mouth feel is as smooth as silk, with a sweet, but light back bitter taste, then an after taste of caramel, which at first is a bit unusual, but after a few drops grows on you .... well me.  the whole experiance is heaven in a glass.  I am unsure of the SG as my 'thingymabob' got smashed.  I drink it at about 5degC.

1 Can Coopers Stout

1 Can Coopers Ambers Ale

500g Dark Brown Sugar

250g Lactoses

I English Ale Yeast

1 Tea Bag of Amarilo Hops (Dry Hop day 4 or 5)

23lt of water

Leave for 2 weeks at a moderate room temp (not QLD or WA at the moment)

Bottle (leave for 2 weeks) or keg and leave a couple of days.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, GianAvur said:

Hi All

Have been wishing to try this extract recipe for some time, its a bit volcanic in the ferment, but no disasters.  The final brew is like a Black Hole, and draws all visable light into it, with a creamy off white head.  The mouth feel is as smooth as silk, with a sweet, but light back bitter taste, then an after taste of caramel, which at first is a bit unusual, but after a few drops grows on you .... well me.  the whole experiance is heaven in a glass.  I am unsure of the SG as my 'thingymabob' got smashed.  I drink it at about 5degC.

1 Can Coopers Stout

1 Can Coopers Ambers Ale

500g Dark Brown Sugar

250g Lactoses

I English Ale Yeast

23lt of water

It's a big brew, in theory it should be nice.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GianAvur said:

Hi All

1 Can Coopers Stout

1 Can Coopers Ambers Ale

500g Dark Brown Sugar

250g Lactoses

I English Ale Yeast

23lt of water

By golly @GianAvur that does sound enticing 😋 How many grams of hops are in your “teabag” - 25 ?

And what was your average fermentation temperature, do you know ? - ~19-20 degrees C ?

I’m guessing the total ferment time was around 7 days ?

PS - the technical name for your thingymabob  is a hydrometer, but I’m guessin you already know that, it’s just that heaven in a glass kickin’ in 😉😂🤣😂🍺🍺🍺🍺😋

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

It's a big brew, in theory it should be nice.

Thanks

20 hours ago, Triple B Brewing said:

By golly @GianAvur that does sound enticing 😋 How many grams of hops are in your “teabag” - 25 ?

And what was your average fermentation temperature, do you know ? - ~19-20 degrees C ?

I’m guessing the total ferment time was around 7 days ?

PS - the technical name for your thingymabob  is a hydrometer, but I’m guessin you already know that, it’s just that heaven in a glass kickin’ in 😉😂🤣😂🍺🍺🍺🍺😋

Its the Morgans finishing hops bag they are about 12g

yep around that, but one day it got to 22degC in the cupboard

No I leave all my brews for 14 days ...... have always done this, never had a problem in 40 years, then leave in keg or bottle for a further 14 days before I even try it, once again just a habit I have.

yep hydrometer thingymabob, or 'the doings', the whatit jobby thing ...... my wife will always get it right!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Pale Man said:

Sounds like a nice drop.  I'd think of swapping the Amarillo for Fuggles or East Kent Goldings.

good call, but I thought the Amarillo would be more Tropical with the Mollassas than European Barn Yard with the Fuggles or EKG

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, GianAvur said:

good call, but I thought the Amarillo would be more Tropical with the Mollassas than European Barn Yard with the Fuggles or EKG

Fair call. Just me but stouts traditionally aren't really a tropical drink, and I'm a traditionalist.

I wouldnt call Fuggles or EKG...... barnyard, but more Earthy, old school English for IPA's and Stouts.

All depends on you though and what you want, I was just throwing my 5 cents in.

Nice looking recipe no matter which way you hop.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Pale Man said:

Fair call. Just me but stouts traditionally aren't really a tropical drink, and I'm a traditionalist.

I wouldnt call Fuggles or EKG...... barnyard, but more Earthy, old school English for IPA's and Stouts.

All depends on you though and what you want, I was just throwing my 5 cents in.

Nice looking recipe no matter which way you hop.

Yep no disrespect intended ...... I am going to try the next brew, with Coopers Irish stout this time, and with EKG.  Maybe a whole new experiance!

• Like 2