Coopers Community

Doppelbock

I've been working on a Doppelbock recipe for the last few days. I always wanted to make one but somehow never did. This will be a big beer with its 8.25kg grain bill. Due to the type of beer it is, it'll be bottled. The first batch receiving this honour in more than 2 years 🙂 

image.thumb.png.24d6f190c5cdb4ce2f2887db26587719.png

image.thumb.png.c10f5e0b731d1220683b11ca5c230ecb.png

I am mashing fairly high to ensure a full body and some extra sweetness, which should suit the style quite nicely. I'm using two different yeasts, mainly because I only have 2 packs Dubbya and am not due to buy supplies for another 2 weeks or so. Not sure if I'm going to pitch dry or make a little starter on Saturday for a Monday pitch. 

Any suggestions for improvement?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

I've been working on a Doppelbock recipe for the last few days. I always wanted to make one but somehow never did. This will be a big beer with its 8.25kg grain bill. Due to the type of beer it is, it'll be bottled. The first batch receiving this honour in more than 2 years 🙂 

image.thumb.png.24d6f190c5cdb4ce2f2887db26587719.png

image.thumb.png.c10f5e0b731d1220683b11ca5c230ecb.png

I am mashing fairly high to ensure a full body and some extra sweetness, which should suit the style quite nicely. I'm using two different yeasts, mainly because I only have 2 packs Dubbya and am not due to buy supplies for another 2 weeks or so. Not sure if I'm going to pitch dry or make a little starter on Saturday for a Monday pitch. 

Any suggestions for improvement?

Definitely do a starter.  Brewfather suggests 3L with 300g of LDM.  Otherwise 5 - 6 packets of yeast.  That is a brew that would be great to drop onto a lager yeast-cake.

Looking at the Doppelbock recipes in Brewfather, most are darker, but if you are after a paler version, go for it.

Not sure you will get much out of the Carapils, that you would not get out of the Light Crystal and Caramunich.  But again, no reason not to use it.

11 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Definitely do a starter.  Brewfather suggests 3L with 300g of LDM.  Otherwise 5 - 6 packets of yeast.  That is a brew that would be great to drop onto a lager yeast-cake.

Looking at the Doppelbock recipes in Brewfather, most are darker, but if you are after a paler version, go for it.

Not sure you will get much out of the Carapils, that you would not get out of the Light Crystal and Caramunich.  But again, no reason not to use it.

Thanks for the input mate. The Carapils is what I put into most lagers, hence it being in there 🙂 

Colour wise, I think I am slap bang in the middle of what the style guide recommends. I don't want it to be too light but not too dark either. It should come out as a dark copper kinda colour. That's what I am aiming for. I just hope it is malty and sweet enough to cover the taste of the alcohol. I don't like it when beers have this sharp taste to it. 

Yes, the yeast is the worrisome point. I will make a starter but I don't have a vessel big enough. I have an empty 2l juice bottle. I really need to invest in a big Erlenmeyer flask. Or next time I am at Costco, get a gallon bottle of apple juice. That's a decent sized container. I don't do starters often because I rarely brew high RPM beers and am usually just pitching dry. 

How long before should I prepare the starter. Saturday for a Monday pitch? Where do I keep it? I normally just stick it in the pantry but currently, the temps are a little high and it is lager yeast. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

How long before should I prepare the starter. Saturday for a Monday pitch? Where do I keep it? I normally just stick it in the pantry but currently, the temps are a little high and it is lager yeast. 

Doing the starter on Saturday for a Monday pitch is fine.  It may or may not have fermented out by then.  If not, you could pitch the whole contents.  If it has finished, I usually decant off most of the liquid, leaving enough in the container to swirl up the yeast so I can pour it out.  I even use some extra wort to add to the container and rinse out the dregs of yeast.

@Otto Von Blotto has said temperature is less critical for even a lager yeast starter.  As I decant off most of the liquid, I tend to agree.  I do all my starters at room temperature.  I have not noticed any ill-effects in the finished lagers as a result.  Our inside temperature rarely gets over 20°C, though.

Kegland and Keg King have cheaper 5 litre Erlenmeyer flasks for just under $30.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1