Coopers Community

Best yeast for Doppelbock?

Aussiekraut

I'm planning a Doppelbock as one of my next batches, so I have a nice winter warmer when those super cold Queensland winter days hit 🙂 

What would be the best yeast to use? What I have is 2 packs each of Dubbya and Diamond lager and three or four NovaLager. The recipe I am working on predicts an ABV of around 7.7%, so I would think 2 packets of Dubbya should still do the job. Or should I use 3 Nova instead? Go for a starter?

1 hour ago, Aussiekraut said:

I'm planning a Doppelbock as one of my next batches, so I have a nice winter warmer when those super cold Queensland winter days hit 🙂 

What would be the best yeast to use? What I have is 2 packs each of Dubbya and Diamond lager and three or four NovaLager. The recipe I am working on predicts an ABV of around 7.7%, so I would think 2 packets of Dubbya should still do the job. Or should I use 3 Nova instead? Go for a starter?

Mate if you do not wish to use a starter how about 2 dubbya and a nova or diamond?

Some of the best beers I have made was after combining different yeast strains.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

Mate if you do not wish to use a starter how about 2 dubbya and a nova or diamond?

Some of the best beers I have made was after combining different yeast strains.

Never thought of that. Might be worth a try. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

Looking at a Doppelbock recipe in Brewfather, with an ABV of 7.6%, suggests 4 packets of Dubbya.  Alternatively, do a 3.2 litre starter with the 2 packets.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Looking at a Doppelbock recipe in Brewfather, with an ABV of 7.6%, suggests 4 packets of Dubbya.  Alternatively, do a 3.2 litre starter with the 2 packets.

4 packs of Dubbya? That's a lotta yeast. Taking yeast stocks before, I also noticed I still have 4 packs of M76, which is supposed to be Dubbya. Or is it? Not convinced anymore. I try to move away from it but still have a stash, so maybe that is what I can use. 

Why would it need that much yeast? Lagers may need a bit more but I'm sure one doesn't need 4 packs of Notty or something for a 10% Imperial Stout or does one? You like your imperials, what do you reckon?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

4 packs of Dubbya? That's a lotta yeast. Taking yeast stocks before, I also noticed I still have 4 packs of M76, which is supposed to be Dubbya. Or is it? Not convinced anymore. I try to move away from it but still have a stash, so maybe that is what I can use. 

Why would it need that much yeast? Lagers may need a bit more but I'm sure one doesn't need 4 packs of Notty or something for a 10% Imperial Stout or does one? You like your imperials, what do you reckon?

They probably over do it a little just to be sure. I reckon if 2 packs is standard for a 5% beer 3 for 7.6% will be ok. Or just do the starter. 

There are still some people that only use one packet in a 5% lager. The only observation being it takes longer to get going.

Edited by Uhtred Of Beddanburg
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

I certainly do not claim to be an expert.  The numbers I quoted are just from Brewfather.  Other calculators may recommend other amounts.

No idea if M76 and Dubbya are the same.

I have read advice that lagers need twice as much yeast as ale yeasts.  Plus. once you go over OG's of around 1.060, the amount increases again.

I am doing another parti-gyle brew this weekend that will include a 14 litre batch of 10% IIIPA.  The yeast is Mangrove Jacks M66 Hophead.  I have done a starter to give me 300 billion yeast cells or equivalent to roughly 2 packets of yeast.  I just follow the yeast counts that Brewfather tells me these days.  Some of my higher ABV beers have some of the fusel alcohol notes.  I am not sure if that is because I use too much or not enough yeast.  My ferment temperatures are usually under control.

• Like 2