Coopers Community

dry hopping and cold conditioning

Lord Of The Dans

1'c tis a damn fine number, if its been a fairly steady 1'c for a solid 4 days it's probably good to go.

Are you racking off to bulk prime or re-using the yeast?

nah, i'm not doing either. it's just what i think is an amber ale going into bottles with carb drops.

i do plan to spend yet more money on a secondary fermenter in the next couple of days, because the beer that's going in tomorrow is a chocolate honey porter - i won't get the right carbonation using carb drops, and i'm far to lazy to individually prime 30 bottles.

i've just pulled the fermenter out of the fridge because it isn't high enough off the ground to bottle from the fridge, and i wanted to give it time to resettle.

i did briefly consider re-using this yeast, because i didn't dry hop into this one, and to be honest i'm shocked by how much trub has been left behind (which i'm putting down to re-hydrating the yeast and cold conditioning). i'm sure i read that us-05 is a low sediment yeast... i'm not looking forward to seeing what the high sediment saf04 does in my honey porter!

i eventually decided that i was so pleased with the result of re-hydrating yeast last time, i'd much rather do that at this stage of the game. i just don't have enough experience yet to be confusing issues too much.

the fridge did some weird things during the cold crash - it spent 90% of the time at 1-1.3 degrees. but there were other times when i'd check the temp controller and it had gotten up to 4-5 degrees (i haven't opened the fridge since i started cold crashing). i'm not too worried about it - the fridge would kick in and get it back down.

the other thing i'll do next time is make sure the temp measuring implement is at the back of the fridge, because i know the back of this fridge is colder than the front, so the back of the fermenter has likely been slightly colder than 1 degree.

strap the temp probe to the FV (Packing foam and elastic do a great job) it converts the FV into the thormostat so you will be exactly measuring the wort temperature with minimal swing on adjustments and less cycles for your fridge.

Yob

a quick question on racking to a secondary for bulk priming:

i don't do anything different with the ferment, do i? i ferment as normal, cold condition as normal, and then instead of bottling i rack to a secondary and just chuck in a heap of sugar (obviously measured.)

how long does it need to sit in the secondary for priming?

Andy, dissolve the sugar in about 100-200ml of boiled water.put this in your empty fermenter then with a siphon run it from the tap of your fermented beer to the bottom of the empty fermenter (well it should now have only the sugar solution) then fill from the bottom up, just like a big bottle. The action of the beer entering at the bottom will stir the solution in.

No need to do anything else with your beer.

It doesn't need anytime to sit so you can bottle straight away provided it has been mixed. If you feel you must, some people sanitise a spoon to give it a gentle stir. If doing this then just avoid splashing.

Yep, what bill said + if you siphon from tap to tap it will be pretty well mixed, I generally leave it 10 mins to settle, probably no need to though.

The reason I go tap to tap is so the racking vessel can have a lid in place the whole time, well except when adding the sugar.

Also I dilute 100g Dex into 300ml for no other reason than this is about the amount I've lost to hydrometer readings[roll]

I've been reading this thread with interest. I currently have a Cooper's IPA in the fermenter started Feb. 7th. One can Cooper's IPA, one can Cooper's light malt, 500 grams dextrose, and the kit yeast made to 20 liters and fermented at 20c. Once the foam had collapsed, I dry hopped with 28 grams of Chinnook pellets.

The problem is that the hop pellets came apart as expected, but are floating all over the place. Will these eventually settle to the bottom?

Also, I'm from the States...what are "chux"? I'm guessing just cheese cloth bags for the hops?

This is my first dry hopping attempt, so I'm not really sure what to expect.

Cliff

Hi Cliff

A chux (brand-name) is a kitchen cloth chux%20original%2010s[1].jpg

I bottled a very similar recipe to yours last week (minus the hops). I used a can of dark malt instead of light though [ninja]

Will probably try the same with some dry hopping next time depending on the taste test. I'm trying to be real patient and leave it a month before testing [crying]

thanks Bill and Yob for the advice - for anyone else reading along, I bookmarked this Priming Calculator to help figure out how much sugar to put in - someone on this site pointed people to it in another thread.

Cliff, in my one experience of dry hopping, I just did it loose too - when I cold-conditioned it everything sank to the bottom.

This is my first dry hopping attempt' date=' so I'm not really sure what to expect[/quote']

expect flavour and aroma [lol]

Seroiusly, there will be no turning back, I think chinook is the gatway hop of beer making, next it will be citra and amarillo by the pound [lol]

thanks Bill and Yob for the advice - for anyone else reading along' date=' I bookmarked this Priming Calculator to help figure out how much sugar to put in - someone on this site pointed people to it in another thread.

Cliff, in my one experience of dry hopping, I just did it loose too - when I cold-conditioned it everything sank to the bottom.

The only thing people need to remember is that if you are priming for kegs then only use half the amount calculated and Robert is your mother's brother. [rightful]

Adam, Andy, Yob...thanks for your answers and information. I put the carboy out in the garage overnight at 7 degrees C and already things have cleared up considerably. Almost all of the hops have settled.

Looking forward to trying this one and expanding my use of hops.

Cliff

Archived