Coopers Community

Yeast not working

strathcleaning

Hi, I am a new DIY Coopers brewer, 10 brews so far, all very good. Yesterday I brewed the Half Ruby Porter, but forgot to put my heater on, got  down to 10cc overnight, no fermentation has happened. My question is. Should I buy another satchet of yeast and pitch it in? Look forward to your help, regards, Bradley

• Like 2

6 hours ago, strathcleaning said:

Hi, I am a new DIY Coopers brewer, 10 brews so far, all very good. Yesterday I brewed the Half Ruby Porter, but forgot to put my heater on, got  down to 10cc overnight, no fermentation has happened. My question is. Should I buy another satchet of yeast and pitch it in? Look forward to your help, regards, Bradley

Hi Bradley and welcome to the Forum.  I agree with @Kegory.  The cool temperature should have only slowed down the yeast.  Once it warms up to normal fermenting temperature, it should kick in.  That being said, if you still have no action after 48 hours, throw a fresh packet of yeast in it.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, strathcleaning said:

Hi mate welcome to the forum if you have the clear coopers fermenter condensation on the lid is a sign the yeast is active also. I would also do a hydrometer reading after 48hrs if you are not sure if fermentation is underway to see if the original gravity has come down???

• Like 3