Coopers Community

Adding Old to New

Murgay

Fairly new to brewing and curious if a couple of PET bottles of previous brew (“flat” , soft PET bottles ) can be added into a new brew ? Curious if this will cause new brew to be off, if it will affect alcohol level and any other side effects

Muz

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Murgay said:

Fairly new to brewing and curious if a couple of PET bottles of previous brew (“flat” , soft PET bottles ) can be added into a new brew ? Curious if this will cause new brew to be off, if it will affect alcohol level and any other side effects

Muz

Hi @Murgay Welcome to the forum.

I definitely would not do that; it can cause all sorts of problems. Just concentrate on your next brew.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Murgay said:

Muz

Do not do that. You're opening doors for all sorts of dramas, yucky beer, infections, etc. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Murgay said:

Muz

Is it just to use them up? Or are you trying it for some particular reason?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Murgay said:

Muz

IIRC this technique is used by some Belgian breweries although my understanding is that they do not store old ales in PET bottles.

FWIW I wouldn't try it unless I was planning to brew one of those Belgian ales and had brewed the older to-be-added beers with that in mind.

28 minutes ago, Kegory said:

IIRC this technique is used by some Belgian breweries although my understanding is that they do not store old ales in PET bottles.

FWIW I wouldn't try it unless I was planning to brew one of those Belgian ales and had brewed the older to-be-added beers with that in mind.

If you have a failed brew (in this case flat beer) & you added it to a new brew, you will have two failed brews, don't even think aboout it, just chuck the flat beer & make some nice beer.

If you need help there is plenty on this great forum.

• Like 1

I wouldnt. Possibilty of infecting the new brew as previously mentioned.

However, if it seems ok other than being flat you could try adding a teaspon of sugar to the bottle and reseal. (Perhaps the cap leaked or it didnt get primed?) Try again in a few weeks. 

You never never know unless u have a go. 🙃

29 minutes ago, Oldbloke said:

I wouldnt. Possibilty of infecting the new brew as previously mentioned.

However, if it seems ok other than being flat you could try adding a teaspon of sugar to the bottle and reseal. (Perhaps the cap leaked or it didnt get primed?) Try again in a few weeks. 

You never never know unless u have a go. 🙃

Just chuck it, it is only a couple of PET bottles fks, why waste time on a flat beer, accept it was a fail & move on.

There is no need to be worried about crap when you can start a new day & make good beer.

Being tight & stubborn doesn't fit, so get over it.

That's my opinion so Hallelujah. 

Cheers.