Coopers Community

MJ M76 vs. W34/70

Aussiekraut

Supposedly they're both the same yeast and I buy M76 because it is a little cheaper but lately, I am wondering if it is worth it. A few lagers I have recently made seem to have a bit of a green apple taste to them, indicating a lot of acetaldehyde in the finished product. I can't say I have ever noticed that when using trusty old Dubbya. Acetaldehyde is always present in small amounts but when things taste like green apples, it is usually too much. A cause for having too much in the beer is apparently yeast stress. Now I haven't changed my regime with such lagers and use 2 sachets of yeast, I pitch cold and I step the temperature down by 3C daily once FG has been reached after a d-rest. 

Has anybody noticed this? Is it possible the yeasts aren't quite the same? Is M76 more prone to throw those flavours? 

I'll try NovaLager next time I make one of those lagers to see if this turns out differently.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

A few lagers I have recently made seem to have a bit of a green apple taste to them, indicating a lot of acetaldehyde in the finished product. I can't say I

Oh no the dreaded acetahylahdinosaurausrex. @Kegory has googled that enough to know what it is 😄

Try Lallemand Diamond Lager @Aussiekraut  beautiful clean lager yeast. I've made Pilsners with it, you'd swear would not be brewed at home. Very clean and crisp finish, and cleans up beautiful. Just 2 cents worth.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Oh no the dreaded acetahylahdinosaurausrex. @Kegory has googled that enough to know what it is 😄

Try Lallemand Diamond Lager @Aussiekraut  beautiful clean lager yeast. I've made Pilsners with it, you'd swear would not be brewed at home. Very clean and crisp finish, and cleans up beautiful. Just 2 cents worth.

Actually, I read about it first in books. I only googled it for your benefit so I could post some links.

32 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Diamond was actually the yeast I used when I got the very strong acetaldehyde presence. I don't pin the blame on the yeast, though, it was a temperature control issue.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Kegory said:

Actually, I read about it first in books. I only googled it for your benefit so I could post some links.

Having a lend fella. My sarcasm meter is off the scale today. Could be the ten pints I've had 

• Haha 2