Coopers Community

First homebrew -- Fermentation time question

Ace Degenerate

Your hydrometer is your friend I would leave it another 4 days then take a reading on day 10 then on day 12 take another reading if its the same reading fermentation has finished and you can bottle it

The reason for leaving it at least 10 days is it gives the yeast time to clean up after itself and gives the beer time to clear it is best left for 12 to 14 days

Edited by Back Brewing
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Ace Degenerate said:

Hi there,

Currently working on my first homebew kit (Cooper's Lager), but I have a query on the fermentation time. It says to leave it in the fermenter for 6 days better bottling -- is this absolute? I have heard it can be better to leave it for longer.

Thanks.

Coopers' lager typically takes around 2 weeks to brew & IMO it is best to leave all of your brews in your fermenter for 14 days.

There are exceptions & you will find some brewers will bottle/keg earlier or even later, but 14 days is a good rule of thumb.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Ace Degenerate said:

Hi there,

Currently working on my first homebew kit (Cooper's Lager), but I have a query on the fermentation time. It says to leave it in the fermenter for 6 days better bottling -- is this absolute? I have heard it can be better to leave it for longer.

Thanks.

I haven't brewed that beer but the earliest I've bottled is day 13. The earliest I've begun testing for Final Gravity is day 9. Patience is a virtue.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ace Degenerate said:

Hi there,

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum.

The numbers are not set. Many factors have an impact on the fermentation times. Temperature probably being the biggest. Most beers are done in around 5-7 days but as it has been pointed out, use your hydrometer. It is the ultimate reference to whether things are done. If you get two consecutive readings, you're set in terms of fermentation and yes, in theory, you can bottle. But as per above, give the yeast a chance to clean up after itself, and give any debris in the beer time to settle. You will get a clearer beer with less sediment in the bottle and by extension, fewer farts if I may say so 🙂 

Give it 2 weeks all up, then bottle, store the bottles above 18C for a week and then let them rest for another before you start drinking them. Beers mature over time, the flavours need to meld. A beer that's been in the bottle doesn't taste anything like a beer that's been in the bottle for 2-4 weeks. I'm not saying you can't start drinking it once carbonated though.

Welcome to the world of brewing beer.

• Like 4

I agree with Aussiekrout. Usually 6 days and its done.

7 days is usually safe esp if tempreture is fairly well regulated. Pretty rare i had foamers.

For years i bottled on day 7 or 8 due to work, but now im retired usually day 9 or 10. But 14 is is probably better.

Try and leave them at least 4-5 weeks (even longer is better) in the bottle before drinking. And adding malt instead of various "sugars" greatly improves them. 

For beginers Coopers brew enhanser 3 is a great and easy option.

Edited by Oldbloke
  • Like 4

@Classic Brewing Co I regularly se you mention your brews all waiting 14 days in the FV, and I also read often that dry hopping should be done towards but before the end of fermentation for best results and kept to 3-4 days max. I would think that by day 14 fermentation is usually over for at least a few days, could you comment for me on when you dry hop and for how long usually? I'm interested to know how this all works out in your particular methods.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NBillett09 said:

@Classic Brewing Co I regularly se you mention your brews all waiting 14 days in the FV, and I also read often that dry hopping should be done towards but before the end of fermentation for best results and kept to 3-4 days max. I would think that by day 14 fermentation is usually over for at least a few days, could you comment for me on when you dry hop and for how long usually? I'm interested to know how this all works out in your particular methods.

OK, when I do a k & k brew, I do leave it in the FV for 14 days & usually add a minimum of 50gms of hops on day on day 10.

I prefer to infuse them in a muslin bag rather than dry hop due to possible bottling wand clogging or hop debris floating around in the beer.

The brew would have fermented well & truly by 14 days, but it does clean up better IMO, 

I mainly do AG brews which of course is totally different but even with a FWK I add the hops on day 10. I find the hop aroma & taste linger for the life of the keg.

It doesn't seem to be the same with the few I bottle though but they are still OK.

20230813_111850.jpg

20230813_112211.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1