Coopers Community

Non-enzymatic mash

Aussiekraut

Does anybody have experience with this? Any pitfalls? What do I expect from the final beer?

I'm planning a very low ABV beer and this seems to be the way to go. I first thought about boiling off the alcohol but then you lose some hop aromas and flavours as well and need to compensate, you lose water too and need to adjust it, etc. It seems to be mucking around a lot with a fair few downsides. Then I remembered the non-enzymatic mash I was pointed toward a while ago by somebody. I think it may have been @MitchBastard.

It seems to be a good way to brew a full bodied and flavoured beer, with a very low alcohol content. From what I read, 1-1.5% ABV is possible with a grain bill similar to a full-strength beer. 

I know there are a few things to look out for like making sure I don't get the muck at the bottom into the kettle and that I have to adjust the amount of hops a little as there is a better hop utilisation than with a normally mashed beer.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

Does anybody have experience with this? Any pitfalls? What do I expect from the final beer?

I'm planning a very low ABV beer and this seems to be the way to go. I first thought about boiling off the alcohol but then you lose some hop aromas and flavours as well and need to compensate, you lose water too and need to adjust it, etc. It seems to be mucking around a lot with a fair few downsides. Then I remembered the non-enzymatic mash I was pointed toward a while ago by somebody. I think it may have been @MitchBastard.

It seems to be a good way to brew a full bodied and flavoured beer, with a very low alcohol content. From what I read, 1-1.5% ABV is possible with a grain bill similar to a full-strength beer. 

I know there are a few things to look out for like making sure I don't get the muck at the bottom into the kettle and that I have to adjust the amount of hops a little as there is a better hop utilisation than with a normally mashed beer.

Never tried this.  Gonna have a go at Parti-Gyle in a week or two.  Brew a high ABV beer (8% Duvel) , then brew a low ABV brew (2%) with a second mash using the "spent" grains.

• Like 3