Coopers Community

Cologne Kolsch Beer

I am thinking of brewing a Cologne Kolsch beer, but not sure where to start. The Coopers DIY recipes seem a little exotic, whereas I want to try and get close to an original style. One recipe I have seen suggests using a blonde beer extract and coopers DIY recipes suggest Mexican Cerveza.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to the extracts to use and best malts to use.

You could just strip out the exotic elements from the Coopers DIY recipes. That's what I'm doing with some stouts at the moment. Just looking at them if I wanted to do that I'd probably try The Voyage Honey Kolsch recipe without the honey, even without the Light Crystal Malt, too, if you just want to make it simple.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Two Blokes Brewing said:

I am thinking of brewing a Cologne Kolsch beer, but not sure where to start. The Coopers DIY recipes seem a little exotic, whereas I want to try and get close to an original style. One recipe I have seen suggests using a blonde beer extract and coopers DIY recipes suggest Mexican Cerveza.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to the extracts to use and best malts to use.

It is all about experimenting really, the basic extracts & malts will produce great beers & you can tweak them by using different yeasts & hops.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Two Blokes Brewing said:

If you want to keep it simple, just use a can of Coopers Mexican Cerveza plus a can of Pale Liquid Malt and use Lallemand's Kolsch yeast.

• Like 4