Coopers Community

Will this work?

Lord Of The Dans

G'day all,

New brewer here. I was thinking about chucking down a batch on the weekend, and sitting in the cupboard at the moment, I have a tin of Coopers Pale Ale, a box of BE2 and almost a full box of LDME. Has anyone tried this concoction before? I'm either gonna use US 05 or re-conditioned Coopers yeast (if I haven't stuffed it) and maybe dry hop it with some galaxy or cascade hops. Any advice would be appreciated!! I'd ask my mate who got me into home-brew, but I know his advice would be to steep some caramalt or other grain, but with a 5 day old son, I want something nice and easy.[biggrin]

Ferment with either yeast around 18 - 20 degrees and it should be a very nice American Pale Ale style. I really like Galaxy, but either hop at 1 - 2g per litre would work well.

Mind you, if you're going to steep some grains, now may be easier than when your son is two - there's help, and then there's help..!

Dan

Ha ha, your name is Dan, so you obviously know what you're talking about! Like I said, I'm new to the game (this will be my second batch), so wanna keep it simple. Having said that, I did steep caramalt for the first batch, and am waiting patiently for the rewards....

Out of the two hops, which would you recommend for dry hopping?

Lord of the ?, Try this Little Critters a good drop.

CAN COOPERS PALE ALE

200g WDME

750 DME

25 g CASCADE BOIL 10 MIN

250DEX

10 g CHINOOK, 10g CASCADE DRY

72 HOURS 23L CULTURED YEAST

or

Golden Ale

CAN COOPERS PALE ALE

500g DME

500g WDME

15 AMARILLO SIMMER 15 MIN

15 gAMARILLO 5MIN

12 g AMARILO F/O

12gCASCADE F/O

CULTURED YEAST

300 DEX

23L

or

Pale Yak

CAN PALE ALE

1.3 DME

20 CASCADE -10 MIN - 20 NELSON 10 MIN

15 NELSON FO- 170 DEX- CULTURED YEAST

23L IBU41

All good brews, I love the Pale Yak[love] [love]

Weggl

I can usually get my hops orders in a 500g express post bag for about $8, they also use 3 kg express and then courier for larger orders. The postage is displayed when you add items to your cart.

Ross is pretty helpful, you could always give them a call.

Hey dane congrats on son mate yeah i also reckon brew as much as you can now. I have 2 boys 4 and 1 years old and it took me almost 5 hours to complete a simple kit brew with a crystal malt steep and cool it because they were running a muck. Happy days ahead [biggrin]

So, this is what i went with

1.7kg Coopers pale ale

1kg brew enhancer 2

450g Coopers LDME

20g Cascade Hops

20g Amarillo hops

Re-cultured Coopers yeast (it worked!)

30 min boil 3ltrs - 300g LDME

10g Cascade 25 min

10g Cascade 20 min

10g Amarillo 10 min

10g Amarillo 0 min

Yeast pitched at 25 degrees

I also want to dry hop this brew, from other brewers experience, which of the 2 would be best? I'm leaning towards the Amarillo, coz it smells awesome!

Thoughts? Comments? Any advice would be appreciated, as it was only my 2nd batch.

Cheers,

Dan

So, this is what i went with

1.7kg Coopers pale ale

1kg brew enhancer 2

450g Coopers LDME

20g Cascade Hops

20g Amarillo hops

Re-cultured Coopers yeast (it worked!)

30 min boil 3ltrs - 300g LDME

10g Cascade 25 min

10g Cascade 20 min

10g Amarillo 10 min

10g Amarillo 0 min

Yeast pitched at 25 degrees

I also want to dry hop this brew, from other brewers experience, which of the 2 would be best? I'm leaning towards the Amarillo, coz it smells awesome!

Thoughts? Comments? Any advice would be appreciated, as it was only my 2nd batch.

Cheers,

Dan

Dan,

Going off early results (14days) of my Pale Ale using only BE2 and amarillo hops, I think your're first recipe will be a cracker. My only regret, and Im doing another very soon is use some LDM instead of the BE2 (trying to avoid Maltodextrin from now on)to give it more maltiness. And I LOVE Amarillo hops, I used 25g dry and the aroma and flavour is very much evident I hope it doesnt fade too much [cool]

Archived