Coopers Community

Frothing out of the airlock

BrianH9

Just put my first Coopers brew on - Canadian blonde using brew enhancer 1. Got a surprise this morning to find the brew frothing into the airlock. never had that happen before with other brands plus this is first time ever used brew enhancer, Cleaned it out and retopped with water and its still bubbling right out the top of airlock. WTF??? is there too much gas? How do you degas?

The temp was in the ideal range at 24deg. I did stir after adding the yeast as seen it done on some home video instructions. Should I stir or not? Never had this problem before.

You just have a vigorous ferment happening there, you're pretty high on the temperature scale too, closer to 20 degrees might slow things down and give a better result. Simplest solution is to get rid of the airlock, and replace it with cling wrap or one of the new DIY fermenters.

Back when I used an airlock I had a number of stouts volcano out. Messy, but didn't hurt the beer noticeably.

thanks guys. the fermenter is 30l and was filled to 23l. Im in SE QLD so temps can be warm! It has settled a bit now so as long as it wont affect the brew this time! I will try lower temp next time and see what happens [biggrin]

Archived