Coopers Community

Hope this works "International Choclate Porter"

TonyW

None of this is coopers related other than the fact its beer [bandit]

I went to the homebrew shop today, no recipe in hand, no idea what i wanted to achieve, and then it happened.

A loveley kit of Chocolate Porter from the land of Tigers and Devils (Tasmania) was looking me in the eye saying do me do me!! so i grabbed the can of goo and pondered what to do next?

I grabbed a 1.5 kilo of munich LME as it was looking me straight in the face and thought what now?

Its amazing how fast the brain can work when looking in a fridge full of hops and yeast.

Hello Austria and i grabbed a Lallemand Nottingham Ale yeast [cool]

Hops? was looking for cones but none seemed to fit the brew, then i noticed 25g of citra pellets staring at me and my dry hop is finalised. 250g of dex should bring me up to about 5%ABV

SO we have

1.7kg Chocolate porter kit from Tassie

1.5kg quality Liquid Munich Malt

25g of Citra hops (dry hopping)

250g of dex

Nottingham yeast

Volume 21 litres

Ya gotta love flying by the seat of your pants sometimes [biggrin]

Interesting...... a mate gave me a bottle of Porter AG he did and I am still waiting for his recipe. It was the first decent porter I had tried so I hope this will turn out ok [joyful]

I used to do a beaut Poerter back when i was brewing all the time but i cant remember the recipe so i will see how this one goes.

I was originally thinking of doing a Doppelbock buti am in a bit of a brewing hurry as go on my holidays 9th March and need more beer supplies.

O.G 1.056 checked gravity after a week 1.020 when bottled it should give me 5.2% . Have raised the temp from 18C to 20C for a few days see if we cant get a few more point out of it. Taste is very nice be a good one to put away for awhile.

did no one else find the notion of a brew can saying "do me, do me" hilarious? [lol]

i'd love ongoing commentary on this one Tony. I've never been well off enough, or adventurous enough to buy something like this at a bottle shop. a couple of Irish Ale's are the strongest tasting beers i've had.

but the idea of porters and heavy tasting ales using pumpkin, chocolate, honey etc really interest me, i'll definitely be going down this track when i get a bit more practice in.

how was this primed? i'd imagine something like this you wouldn't want to be quite as carbonated? or do i have that wrong?

did no one else find the notion of a brew can saying "do me' date=' do me" hilarious? [lol']

i'd love ongoing commentary on this one Tony. I've never been well off enough, or adventurous enough to buy something like this at a bottle shop. a couple of Irish Ale's are the strongest tasting beers i've had.

but the idea of porters and heavy tasting ales using pumpkin, chocolate, honey etc really interest me, i'll definitely be going down this track when i get a bit more practice in.

how was this primed? i'd imagine something like this you wouldn't want to be quite as carbonated? or do i have that wrong?

I usually prim a bottle 700mm + with a teaspoon measure of dex Porters and Stouts i do 3/4 teaspoon of dex. I dont bulk prime but may down the track if i start doing a secondary fermenter

This brew has turned out nice even though its still green.

In future in Porters and Stouts i will stick to my Fuggles and or goldings, having said that the Citra twang is nice but i prefer it in an IPA.

Happy that i used the Munich in the brew, adds a nice character to the malt taste and goes down smooth, the colour is a dark amber.

May try a Coopers Dark with the Munich and use fuggles/Goldings and the Nottingham again, should put me in the ball park for a nice Porter.

Hey Tony I was reading about the Porter of all Porter's' date=' Fuller's and the website says what they use in it. Mayhap that is of interest. I'm thinking of trying something like that next once I've got my Dark IPA experiment outta the way.[sideways]

Hi Adam

i dont usually make too many Porters, i usually go the next step and make a big thick stout but i am using the Porters as a recipe base and trying a few things from left field.

I am going to do a basic London Porter using (havent worked out my measurements yet)

Pale malt

Amber Malt

Dark Malt

It going to work out about 4kg of unhopped LME in differing measurements

Addition of Fuggles and or Goldings Hops, majority to the boil a little dry hopped.

Its derived from a recipe from the early 1800's but i intend to twist it around a bit.

originally from Tasmania, and keen to try more full flavoured beers, this thread piqued my interest big time.

i hope it's ok that i temporarily hijack it. this beer is still over a week away from going in the fermenter, but it's a completely new style for me so i wanted to get some advice on it.

here's what i want to do:

Chocolate Mahogany Porter kit

1.5l Coopers Dark malt

250g Dry wheat malt

250g Light dry malt (to go in the hop boil)

500g honey (is that too much?)

S-04 yeast that i'll rehydrate

filled to 23l (on account of the number of fermentables)

so question 1 - is that too many fermentables? or is that going to give the full flavoured beer that I'm after with a good, tight head?

question 2 - i can't imagine i'm going to need bittering hops for this, i'd imagine it would go against what i'm trying to achieve with a full flavoured chocolate honey porter. but i think i'm going to want flavour and aroma hops. in my freezer i have: cascade, galaxy, east kent goldings, fuggles and nelson sauv. i'm open to any and all advice on what to do to this brew with hopping. i'm thinking fuggles for 10 minutes and goldings at flame out, in keeping with the dark english ale style?

thanks all

Archived