Coopers Community

Hot weather in Queensland

MalcolmP3

G'day,

I have been making Coopers Canadian Blond for years with great results. For the first time this year after the brew has been in the bottles for over two weeks I have had explosions. Because our temperature here in Qld.is over 30c I moved my bottled beers outside in the shade. I am still getting explosions.

Any suggests would be welcome.

Cheers

Two possible reasons are:

1. The brew had not finished fermenting when you bottled it.

2. You may have over primed the bottles.

Or both [crying]

Did you take a hydrometer reading before you bottled?

In the meantime it may be a good idea to cover the bottles with a blanket or similar to minimise the explosion.

you can wrap them in gladwrap, this wont stop them exploding if they are over-primed, but it will contain the mess and make it easier to clean up, place them all in a large box with space between them as well, this will also make cleanup easier... are you on AHB as well Malclom.. Im sure I just read something very similar to this over there.

Yob

[edit] as has been asked, what was the OG and FG of the brew? how long was it brewed? How much did you prime with? what ingredients... we really need a bit more info but the above advice will help with cleanup [ninja]

and finally - welcome

make sure you wear goggles, gloves and long sleeves if you wrap them in glad wrap. during my first home brew escapades years ago, I once got exploding bottles. I couldn't even touch them, they were bloody dangerous!

Archived