Coopers Community

Bulk malt

Otto Von Blotto

Hey guys,

First time posting on here. I've just got back into brewing after 8 years, and been looking through the topics, some interesting stuff and learning a little about how to adjust flavours, improve the beer etc. [biggrin]

I'm just wondering if it's worth buying malt in bulk, I saw a few on Grain & Grape in 22kg amounts, or is it better to just stick with smaller amounts? I'd probably only mix up a brew every couple of months until I get a bigger stockpile of bottles. Does it go "off" if stored too long?

Cheers,

Kelsey

Buying in Bulk is great.. Sure.. but you need to keep it airtight... I wouldnt personally go 25kg though unless you were going to be brewing shed loads quickly, which doesnt sound the case, you need a LARGE container and storage space for a long time from the sound of it..

I presume we are talking Dry Malt Extract here.. I used to get 10kg at a time and package it in airtight large lunch bags, then into a clip-lock plastic container in a cupboard in the shed, sealed properly and with little to no air it was fine months after bagging.[ninja]

er... the old saying goes "Fresh is Best", clearly the fresher the ingredients the 'fresher' the brew. I never noticed the difference between a bag that was a few months old... in saying that though I probably went almost through the 10kg in a few months sooo..[lol]

Yob

[edit] oh Yeah, and welcome to the obsession and the forum

What Yob said. I usually buy LDM in 20kg bags and split that with someone I work with. However, with LDM it is imperative to ensure no moisture whatsoever gets into it or you will end up with rocks.

I weigh 500g and put that in the ziplock bags and squeeze the air out and seal. they are the perfect size for 500g lots.

Thanks for the quick replies, very helpful.[biggrin]

Yes, Dry Malt Extract I meant, sorry[lol]

I think until I get more bottles and can put brews on more often I'll just buy for each brew, but I like that idea of ziplock bags. Storage space won't be an issue here, got plenty of that.

I googled ziplock bags and found a packaging mob a couple of suburbs away from me that sells them in cartons of 1000 for peanuts, what are the dimensions roughly of the ones you use to store your 500g lots Bill?

Cheers,

Kelsey

Lunch bag type size hold about 400g max, the larger ones hold a bit more, I sometimes used the ones that stand up just for the convenience of filling them up.

Of course though having a vaccume sealer would be ideal as you can make them suit whatever size you want for the additions... I dont have one of these yet but is def. on my shopping list in the soon column. [cool] and is really the way to fly.. you could easily be getting your 25kg and package with one of THESE

Yob

Thanks for the quick replies' date=' very helpful.[biggrin']

Yes, Dry Malt Extract I meant, sorry[lol]

I think until I get more bottles and can put brews on more often I'll just buy for each brew, but I like that idea of ziplock bags. Storage space won't be an issue here, got plenty of that.

I googled ziplock bags and found a packaging mob a couple of suburbs away from me that sells them in cartons of 1000 for peanuts, what are the dimensions roughly of the ones you use to store your 500g lots Bill?

Cheers,

Kelsey

Here are the ones I use and they hold 500g perfectly and only a few dollars at the supermarket. No need to buy 1000's as a box of 100 will do 50kg.

S068254-3D.jpg

Yob - That thing looks like a great idea! Will have to put that on the list too I think, once I'm back at work anyway. I'm self employed and on holidays so no incoming cash [sad] Gives me a bit of time to build the stockpile of bottles though - got a couple of mates saving their bottles.

Bill - didn't even think of those things *facepalm* [lol] Next time I'm at the supermarket I will grab a box of them so I'll have them here when I need them [smile]

Thanks guys!

Cheers,

Kelsey

Lunch bag type size hold about 400g max, the larger ones hold a bit more, I sometimes used the ones that stand up just for the convenience of filling them up.

Of course though having a vaccume sealer would be ideal as you can make them suit whatever size you want for the additions... I dont have one of these yet but is def. on my shopping list in the soon column. [cool] and is really the way to fly.. you could easily be getting your 25kg and package with one of THESE

Yob

The Vacuum sealer.... where can you get bags for them?

It says textured bags from the supermarket but what are textured bags?

That machine looks the bees knees for hop storage. I get shitty everytime I open a 1kg bag of hops for only 10-20g!! [crying]

Hm.. I think I'll go with the Glad bags when I get to a point of buying bulk, until I can spare some cash for the vacuum sealer etc.

I like to have a bit of a plan with things like this, and advice/ideas from more experienced people, so it's all helpful, thanks everyone :)

Cheers,

Kelsey

Yob

The Vacuum sealer.... where can you get bags for them?

It says textured bags from the supermarket but what are textured bags?

That machine looks the bees knees for hop storage. I get **** everytime I open a 1kg bag of hops for only 10-20g!! [crying]

Just ask the HBS where they get theirs bill, My LHBS has just plain smooth bags on a roll, they cant be that expensive im tipping... I havnt done the numbers yet so cant say with any degree of accuracy... Hops is what alot of people use them for over on the "The Other One" [cool] and you can be damn sure I will have one come this time next year [lol]

LMAO "The Other One" [bandit] I know where you mean [innocent]

I'm actually an ex Butcher and we use to have a Cryovac Machine which is exactly the same but a hell of a lot bigger. Sometimes I still wish I were Butchering [pouty]

Archived