Coopers Community

OG - Mexican Cerveza

Phil Mud

Hairy... you can not buy that in Tasmanian Supermarkets. I have never seen it and state legislation stipulates no alcohol can be sold at a supermarket here. You may be able to buy it in NSW but certainly not in Tassie.

Jamie, you said you have seen beer in supermarkets in Tassie, you still haven't answered my question as to which one?

Hi Bill - the Woolworths iPhone app says you can buy Coopers Birrel at the Woolies in Sandy Bay (Aisle 5)- as someone mentioned, it's so low in alcohol that it's kind of considered non alcoholic, although some alcoholic products are clearly able to be sold (vanilla essence for example). Most Supermarkets in VIC have the same restrictions (though not all) but almost all of them stock this or something similar.

In Australia, any beverage under 1.15% ABV is considered to be a soft drink. It attracts no excise tax and may be sold by supermarkets, grocery stores, the corner shop, etc. [biggrin]

We've produced Birell (around 0.5% ABV) under licence for many years and we've recently started importing Holsten 0.0 - only available in some Woolies stores at the mo.

But it is beneficial to leave it another week to allow the yeast to clean up after themselves and clear up the beer.

Just a quick question about this Hairy - I've been busting my chops to keep the beer <20C - the past few days in Melbourne have been stinking hot! Do I need to maintain the temperature while the yeast is cleaning up? I read somewhere that letting it come up to room temperature is desirable though I'm not sure.

Temperature control is really important during fermentation so you don't have to be so strict during the extra 'clean up' week.

But saying that, you still don't want your beer to sit at 35 degrees.

Room temperature will be fine during that stage (provided it isn't 35 degrees [happy] )

I have a fridge with a temp controller so I just leave it at around 18-19 degrees. I sometimes cold condition for the last few days, and the other times I don't.

As for raising temps, I'm not sure if there is any benefit for ales but many lager brewers will raise the temps after fermentation for a diacetyl rest.

Archived