Coopers Community

Created a monster

CaribooSpeed

[devil]

Well, I've always loved beer, never drank a lot until my first marriage ended, and while pouring money into building my hot rod, started brewing my own beer. With no real appreciation or brew skills, I turned to a U-Brew for cheap beer. The U-Brew was no better at brewing than I was, and with every box of beer came bad gas and the trots.[crying] So I bought beer for years...then I bought good beer for years...

Fast forward 10 years to present...In this little town I live in, the local U-Brew went broke (due to a land slide) and I returned to making my own...Coopers cans and BE1-2 are all that's available in one of the three grocery stores, and after logging on to here, I wished for more flavors and promptly stripped my neighbor's fence of its decorative hops. In the last couple months, my furnace room was quickly filled with shelves to hold the f/v buckets and carboys. Studied techniques and recipes here, and elsewhere on the web. I've made 20 some batches, poured a couple down the drain and tossed a couple recipes, but I've got a pretty good understanding on what does what, how, and why, and have cranked out at least two repeatable batches worth naming that have received 2 thumbs up from all my test subjects. Yes I will share them once I find out the cultivar of the hops on my neighbors fence...the other 15 or so batches were OK and at least didn't taste like piss.

Then tracked down the guy who still owns the local U-Brew and this Sunday will make a formal offer to purchase and revive the operation. My g/f is stoked as she is losing one of her jobs in March, and loves wines. She will keep her other part time job teaching Marketing, and other business courses at the local college.

After 25 years in the forest industry making lumber, I'm REALLY ready to move on and do something I actually like for a living. I'll try and carry Coopers products, tough to compete on price with a major grocery store chain, but they do a half arse attempt at keeping stuff in stock.

Just thought I'd pass this along and thank Coopers, and all on this board for your part in inspiring me. Some little town in rural Canada, two thousand people will drink good beer, I will make a living and try and find time to update you.

Cheers, Tom

I wish you all the very best Tom in your new venture. You may have seen Chad on here, he is from around your end of the woods (so to speak)[happy] I am sure he'd love to have a good supplier if you are in his area. He also has a few good recipes you might like to liaise sometime with him.

No doubt Canada needs a good supplier of Coopers so you may be on a winning wicket there.

Keep us updated and all the best.

Cheers

Hi Tom,

I live over here in Golden. It's nice to have another B.C. boys on these forums. These Aussie can be a bit rowdy, sometimes[bandit] .

You know? You pretty much are headed down the path I was considering. I've being working in the forestry industry for 17 years and have been wondering what's next. There's a LHBS in town that is friendly but not very helpful. I've considered asking to purchase the business. Maybe in a few years[innocent] .

I do have a tip/contact for you in your new endeavour. There is a fellow over in Vernon by the name of Chris. He runs an online Brew Shop. Check it out here. This fellow runs a tight ship and could help out a new brew shop.[wink]

Bill, try out the Golden Amber Ale. It's a winner

Im in the timber industry down here and was wondering what timber you produced or what species you used.

I use pinaster and Radiata pine for its quick growing and structural properties.

Hi David,

If I may comment. I'd say that the lumber produced by Tom are Lodgepole pine (Pinus contorta), White spruce (Picea glauca) and most importantly Douglas fir (Pseudotsuga menziesii). These are the dominant commercial species in the interior Britsh Columbia.

I don't personally "produce" the lumber. I grow the trees![cool]

I knew a guy from the US (think he was canadian) who worked with a mate here in Adelaide. He fell in love with Coopers and home brewing and he was a tree climbing lumber man. Top bloke.

Fed us some spirit made from trees, douglas firr or some shit. Potent as all hell.

Me and the Mrs would love to go to Canada, think its a great place.

All the best Tom, you'd be the local saint after too long.

Cheers Steve

Archived