Coopers Community

Fermentation time for mid-strength

RoaldV

This is perhaps faulty reasoning, but I am curious as to whether the fermentation period for mid-strength beer is lesser than the perdiod for a full-strength beer.

Reasoning is that the yeast has less sugar to eat through, and therefore will be finished sooner, and also do its cleanup faster.

Is that right? If so, what is a good length? For my last full-strength brew I allowed 2 weeks, so I am assuming a mid-strength would be significantly less.

Prima facie you are probably right; higher gravity beers generally take longer to ferment. But there are lots of factors that affect fermentation eg. temperature, yeast strain and amount of viable yeast pitched.

To do a true comparison you would need all those variables to be the same.

What is a good length? Thats hard to say for certain. You should probably wait until you you reach final gravity and then leave it for an extra week.

If you don't have the patience or are desperate to bottle then you can do it after FG is reached but giving it the extra time really helps, even if it is only an extra 3-4 days.

Ah ok. Well yeasts are different, but temperature identical.

So you think that a week post FG is still the way to go? In that case I'll be bottling on Tuesday.

whats a mid strength beer?

[lol] [bandit] [lol]

Heh, Yob I can assure you it was not by design. I was trying to make a strawberry blonde variant but forgot to add the honey [annoyed]

That'll be the last time I try to brew beer after a few beers [innocent]

Yeah yeasts are different and temps are identicle. However, temps can vary at different stages. i.e. a cooler temp will cause an Ale to ferment alot slower than it would otherwise at a higher temps. Also a high temp at the start then reducing to a low temp will also cause a difference to that of a cool temp at the start increasing to a high temp. Yes, 20C is 20C but at what stage 20C is applied to the wort will create a difference.

Nevertheless, you are now talking post ferment. the time factor will be the same as all fermentation should have finished. It is only the fermentation time that differs. Clean up etc is no differrent than usual.

I am doing a mid strength lager (Cerveza) and after week at 12C its only dropped 10points, being that the lager yeast bottom ferments at a lower rate than an Ale yeast top ferments and the temps are colder for the lager, i could see this one in the FV for 3weeks at least, but i dont have that much time as its for Xmas. If its not done by next week its a New Years drink, or was that easter [roll] .

Archived