Coopers Community

Kegging and Natural conditioning! How to tap into the glass?

ArveL

1/ You still need gas to dispense the beer to glass.

2/ yes and no, it depends what you are doing. You do not want air in your keg. Obviously when you fill your keg and close it, you will have air in there. So you should then purge the air asap. However, if naturally priming the keg then there is no need to purge the air as the yeast will take care of it for you.

If naturally priming kegs then use half the sugar you would for bottles. [cool]

Thanks BillK!

The thing I like to do is to come closer to the early years of brewing beer. From about 1500/ 1600 and back to the Vikings 800/1000 AD. I like to get a really good brew from the really old times and as close to the early recipe as possible.

And then I need to keg in wooden barrels some of the brews and maby store the viking brew in open barrels.

I have made a few brew of Mead, but I like to get to know the beer the vikings was drinking on the weekdays also.

[roll]

Good stuff Arve.

There was an article recently in Brew Your Own magazine about beers in the Scandanavian region. It discussed the home brew scene and craft beer industry there. Getting back to their roots and brewing viking beers.

It was a very interesting read and had a few recipes too. I will show my ignorance here but I didn't realise there was such a rich beer tradition in Norway. I thought the only great thing produced by Norway was A-Ha [biggrin]

I wouldn't mind hearing how you go with this.

Hey Billy' date=' this kegging stuff, how do you age the beer? Do you keep it in the keg for say 3 months before you drink it ? If so I would need an awful lot of kegs.[crying']

I have started drinking from a keg the day I kegged it. The quickest I have done due to a time factor is:

Day 1/ place ingredients in FV and ferment as usual.

Day 7/ rack beer to keg force carb and drink.

Therefore, only 1 week from cracking open a can to drinking [cool]

Regarding kegs, just think of them like a big bottle really.

You can age kegs but I usually drink them before they have a chance [innocent]

Even though you can drink them young they will get better over time and the green beer still tastes alright. I usually do 2-3 kegs a month and they are usually drunk within the same month. However, now I have another temp controller (not yet complete though) and fridge, I can triple my output which will give me a chance to stock up a bit.

I can't wait until I can get all 5 taps cranking. [cool]

Edit: I forgot to mention that I read somewhere this.... for every week a keg ages is like a month for a bottle in comparison. I know kegs age quicker than a bottle but how as to how fast then I am not sure.

Archived