Coopers Community

Double the yeast

DaveJ4

Increasing the yeast will not give a higher ABV%. The only thing that will increase the alcohol content are various sugars. However, beer is best when balanced. Put simply, the yeast eat the sugars and turn it into alcohol.

If you put too much yeast, or over pitch your yeast, into your brew then you will get some funky flavors happening. It is best to pitch the required amount of yeast according to the gravity of the wort. Unless your OG is really high I would only pitch the one packet. However, having said that, 2 x 7g packets wont hurt in this case but you wont get any added benefit so just do the one packet imo.

Also' date=' a lot of brewing yeasts will die at a certain alcohol % (somewhere between 6-10% depending on the yeast), so there is always a limit to how high you can get the ABV, regardless of how much sugar you use.[/quote']

The limit really won't affect us home brewers a great deal. There are brewers that push the limits to extreme. i.e. Brew Dog with their range of beers... e.g. Sink The Bismark (41%), Tactical Nuclear Penguin (32%) and The End Of History (55%) are prime examples of this.

With the correct ingredients and the correct procedure then alcohol % is not really an issue imo.

Did I mention before that it is best to keep your brews balanced??? [innocent]

I have personally brewed some beers in the 7% range and know of a lot of people who have brewed around 10-12% without any issues.

Archived