Coopers Community

Am I over pitching?

Pistnbroke

Gday All

I have been using US05 yeast for a while now, and quite like it, its a great yeast that produces a clean beer. My problem, is with sedimentation/cloudiness. I usually pitch the whole 14 gram packet to my usual 23 litre batch. The yeast never seems to settle out fully after fermentation has finished, even when given extra time to clear up in the FV. The bottles clear up somewhat, but there is a heap of sediment in them, which naturally gets stirred up the second you tip the bottle to pour. I dont have this problem when using a coopers 7 gram sachet. This makes me think that I am probably over pitching.

If this is the case, how long can I safely store an opened packet in the fridge if I need to reduce the quantity I am pitching? Sometimes once I have built up enough stock I dont brew for a week or 2, until ive drank a few.

Also, what is the best method for reducing chill haze? I have found when I was using coopers yeast that I was getting a fairly clear beer, but had a little haziness when chilled. I can't do CCing as I dont have a fridge I can use for this.

Cheers PNB

US-05 is known for taking a while to drop out of suspension/the krausen also hangs around for ages. The best way to reduce the sediment CC although youve said thats not an option, have you looked into using gelatine to clear up your beers? Iv never used it so cant comment too much on it but im sure someone on here has.

over or underpitching is not advisable, pitching rates relate to the OG of the brew, here is a link to MR MALTY PITCHING RATE CALCULATOR to help you determine the correct PR.

As for clearing the brew, I have only ever CC but noticed a HUGE difference in the clarity for doing so (and the amount of sediment I get in my bottles. Sorry I know thats not much help.. the only other thing for you to do is wait... or leave them in the fridge for at least 4 days and carefully pour them out into a jug leaving the sediment behind

Never used Gelatine to clear my beer as I like my beers without hoof..

Pistn, the US-05 I get comes in 11.5g packets and using this in a standard gravity 23 litre batch is not overpitching.

As David said, US-05 takes a while to clear. But when it does it clears right up.

US-05 is my standard 'go to' yeast since I usually brew pale ales. I give them two weeks in the FV, sometimes I CC and sometimes I don't. Either way they are pretty clear.

I also find the sediment in the PET bottles compacts tightly; not sure what bottles you use. If I pour gently I don't disturb the sediment.

I would use finings and gelatin only as a last resort. Actually, I personally wouldn't use them but plenty of people do.

But you said that you give it extra time in the FV and you can't CC so I'm not sure I can help. Perhaps try a different yeast like Danstar Nottingham and see if that changes anything.

To be honest I haven't noticed a lot of difference between the amount of sediment I end up with in my bottles when using different yeasts - I love US-05 and it is generally my go-to yeast. If stored well and aged sufficiently it should compact on the bottom of the bottle, as suggested above, leaving you with a nice clear glass of beer.

Since I started CCing however I have noted a HUGE reduction in the amount of sediment in my bottles but when it comes down to it all I really get from that is an extra sip of clear beer per bottle whereas I used to stop pouring just as the sediment reached the neck when pouring. I may or may not have been iclined to just drink the last bit from the bottle anyway....but you have no proof of that so mind ya bloody business [lol]

Unless I am in a need to have a beer kegged urgently, I usually always CC my brews for 3+ days (pending how lazy I am).

I recently did a Mexican Cerveza and CC it for 3 days then kegged it with Gelatin and noticed a massive difference an how clear it actually was. Previously I didn't care about finings etc but have found Gelatin to be magic and for the very little amount and effort to achieve this, I will most likely use it all the time now.

If you don't want to Gelatin then I suggest when your bottles are primed, store them in a fridge or cold area and they will clear up.

Cold and/or time will clear your brews.

I can't comment on other finings as I haven't used any. However, if you already have some then you might as well try them.

I had Gelatin in my pantry so thought I'd give that a go and it was successful. Cheap and easy [innocent]

Archived