Coopers Community

european lager

CalumM1

looking to try my hand at making a european lager of any sort, was just wondering if anyone has any recipes they would recommend and whether there are any tips and tricks to use or any problems i may encounter as it is starting to warm up in adelaide.

thanks in advance for any replies.

Good luck with the heat if your doing a lager without some sort of temp control.

1:Pitching active yeast into warm (18-22\xb0C) wort encourages the yeast to begin the fermentation process right away.

2:Most lagers prefer a brewing temp of 12 to 14c max i would brew at 12C

3:Use a good lager yeast

4: There are dozens of good Lager recipes all over the net.

5: Coopers use an Ale yeast in their Lager kits from what i am aware, so for a true lager i would probably try a Saflager S23

hope this helps

Coopers uses a true lager yeast in their European Lager kits whereas the Original Series Lager has an ale yeast.

I'd recommend going the European Lager kit and would go as far as using the kit yeast. It needs at least 3 months in the bottle before it somes good though and make sure you keep it at around 12-14C.

If you can't keep the temps down I'd just brew an ale or look into getting a brew fridge (or similar).

Listen to Muddy re temp control. If you are unable to maintain lower temperatures then give the lagers a miss.

If temp control isn't a problem then you could give the Thomas Coopers Pilsener a go. It seems to get pretty good wraps around here.

Here is a link to the 'standard' recipe:

Pilsener

Archived