Coopers Community

FV still reeks

RoaldV

Hi guys

I did the usual of filling up the FV with water, and using 1/4 cup of bleach (it will be the last time I use bleach as have my Coles Napisan now [biggrin] )

Anyway, left it sitting over night, drained, thoroughly rinsed with warm water, dried, and left to air for the afternoon. Quick sniff later (to check for any chlorine smells) and found that there was a powerful yeasty/ferment/yucky smell coming from the FV.

Is that usual? Does it matter? Will it affect the taste of the next brew if I don't get rid of it?

Cheers

Roald

There is always a smell that remains with plastic especially if you let it dry before using it (not sure how to describe it) but as long as you are sure your vessel is clean and you know you have taken care in sanitising it I wouldn't worry.

I always splash a bit of my no rinse solution (iodophor for me) inside on brewing day just to be sure.

As Muddy stated the smell hangs around.

But I don't find it overly strong and it is far from unpleasant.

In fact, I quite like it. Whenever I take a whiff it stirs up memories of beers long past and a longing for another beer.

Just thinking about the smell whist typing this makes me want to crack open a Centenarillo Ale [love]

Yeah i do same hairy before i put down next batch i give the fermentor a sniff remind what beer smells of after it been bottled and rsting in the cupboard. I make sure i give it a no rinse sanitiser berfore i make the batch tho get rid of any nasties

hrrrmm to be honest.... I have absolutely no idea of this smell you are all talking about. I have 1 DIY FV and 2 "old" style FV and none of them smell.

Nevertheless, if you are not going to use your FV for a day or so then put it in the sun. Not saying it will do the job but it will certainly help.

Archived