Coopers Community

Eight Day Krausen???

[unsure] Hello Brewers, I am unsure about my Fruit Salad Ale attempt. I put this down on the 2/11/2011 using US05 and at this stage I still have a 10 - 15mm covering that I thought was the Krausen. It looks like foam from the side but from the top looks like a light brown cream with specs of yeast in it. I have tested the SG twice with 1.010 on Monday and yesterday it went 1.006 (down from 1.036) and it didn't taste off. This Krausen hasn't changed in appearance for four days although at some stage it was as high as 30mm.

I pitched the yeast at 25'C. The first two days of fermentation were at 18 to 16'C and it has been at 20'C since.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on with this brew?

Sounds to me like it is fermenting and is nearly finished. Don't worry about the krausen, I too get the occassional one that just doesn't collapse.

If it tastes ok and the SG is dropping then it appears that it's fine.

Sit back pour a brewsky, relax and don't panic. [cool]

I find that US-05 doesn't give you the biggest krausen but it hangs around for an eternity. But then it magically drops.

This is why giving it that extra week in the FV really helps.

It should clear up in the next few days.

Thanks Gents.

I have been constantly checking on this and becoming increasingly impatient (a watched pot never boils). I am off to Melbourne for the weekend and was hoping to bottle this brew tomorrow. However I will now take the opportunity to let it sit until at least Tuesday (out of sight out of mind)[cool].

Cheers

Scott

Scott,

I recently used US-05 on a hoppy yak recipe and had a foamy raft for the entire ferment. By day 10, gravity was sub 1010 and the raft began to break up. Was most certainly different to the Coopers yeasts used previously

In the words of the Wiggles...fruit salad (all together)...Yummy Yummy

TD

Archived