Coopers Community

brew fridge help !

gilg

I have a fridge with a freezer unit on top can I use this as a brew fridge with a temp controller?

Dose the freezer auto defrost mess with temp controller unit?

Or would it be best to get a fridge only unit to make a brew fridge.

You can use it as a brew fridge as many are doing so, my next beer is going in mine. The temp controller probe attaches to the fermenter and of course either heats or cools the fridge as required, obviously in the Aussie summer the controller is set to cool. I havent ran mine yet but i am hoping the freezer section will be used to keep some beer cold seeing as the fridge itself will be running higher at between 12 and 18C for the different brews i intend to do. Mines going in next Saturday and i will have a digital thermometer monitering the freezer and hope fully this will become the fridge as it holds about 20+ bottles.

I wouldn't recommend using the freezer - I just put odds and ends in mine (undie straps etc. [biggrin] ). Even though your beer will be temp controlled 12-18 depending on style your freezer will still be chilling at full blast for the periods that the fridge is active which may be long enough to freeze your beer (briefly).

I have the fridge section of my brew fridge set at its cooler setting for when I am brewing.

I put my bottles in the freezer section for secondary fermentation. With the temp controller probe hanging in the middle of the freezer it keeps a fairly stable temp. If the temp goes up & the temp controller kicks in, the fridge is only running for less than a minute to drop the temperature in there down 0.5 degrees.

So far I haven't had any problems.

I have noticed that the fridge runs a little longer when I am brewing but it only has to drop the temp half a degree so once again it is not running for long. I don't think it would run long enough to freeze bottles.

I wouldn't recommend using the freezer - I just put odds and ends in mine (undie straps etc. [biggrin] ). Even though your beer will be temp controlled 12-18 depending on style your freezer will still be chilling at full blast for the periods that the fridge is active which may be long enough to freeze your beer (briefly).

Fridge isnt active for that long is it? As i said i will put a temp probe in the freezer when i do this St peters Ruby Red at 18C then a Cervesa at 12C to 14C and monitor the freezer. Will wack a bottle of water in and see if it freezes and if it doesnt the beer wont because of the aclohol in it [rightful]

It really depends on the quality of your seals I guess. I'm surprised at how little my fridge needs to run when brewing. But I believe that in the heat of summer there is potential for it to run long enough to ice your beer up - not freeze solid or explode but maybe just not treat it as nicely as a fridge would.

These are just based on my assumptions and not on facts or any trials...I might be right but I may well be wrong [biggrin]

Or would it be best to get a fridge only unit to make a brew fridge.

YES All of my brewing fridges have been single purpose, but by far the best is the latest, an all fridge I can dedicate to brewing and have 2 FV's in.. I have my old faithful for cold conditioning.. and another smaller bar fridge just in case of emergency/experiment...

If ya gunna go a fridge, my vote is for one you can fit 2 in at ferment temps but for that single purpose

I may yet convert the small fridge into a yeast bank run by a STC1000 at 2'c [love]

Must be said though.. at 3 fridges I think Im at capacity [lol]

thanks everyone as the wife is upgrading to a larger fridge I get to have the older smaller fridge/freezer.I will look for a fridge only unit at a later date that can take 2 FV. And use the smaller to bottle condition.

Archived