Coopers Premium Selection Sparkling Ale Kit

DavidB25

As i understand it this kit consists of:

1.75k main ingredients

1.50k light malt extract

1.00k dextrose

0.50k dry light malt

1 ea bag of carbonation drops (60+)

What I am not sure about is the amount/type of yeast provided with this kit.

My question: Is the provided amount of yeast sufficient/able to brew this wurt that, by my calculation, will produce an ABV of 8.4% using the standard Coopers fermenter and a volume of 23L?[innocent]

I believe it is the ale + lager strain and I think it is only 7g.

I haven't done this with the kit yeast but it sounds like they would have their work cut out for them.

This might be a good recipe for using recultured Coopers yeast.

Or pitch 2 x 7g packkets if you have them or get yourself an 11.5g yeast from your LHBS.

I'm sure there is someone on here that has made the recipe with the kit yeast.

Not sure by what you mean by "this kit".

Is it a bundle put together by a supplier?

>20% dextrose is quite high, risking the dreaded home-brew, cidery twang.

My calcs suggest the above ingredients in 23 litres & carbed with drops will produce a brew round 7.5% ABV.

The recipe in the "How to Brew" section indicates;

Ingredients

1.7kg Thomas Coopers Sparkling Ale

1.5kg Thomas Coopers Light Malt

500g Coopers Light Dry Malt

300g Dextrose/Sucrose

This produces a brew of around 6% ABV

The kit yeast will handle your recipe, though the recultured yeast is better.

As Hairy states, you will need two packs of Coopers dry yeast - rehydrated in a cup (250 ml) of tepid pre-boled water, OR make a 2 litre starter from a single pack

I made this kit as per the back of the kit recipe. I used the kit yeast and it fermented out fine. It didn't give a very high carbonation though after bottling so not overly impressed. I got some bottles still that are about year old. Its real headache material just like its commercial counterpart if you drink to much so I know the alcohol is in the bottle (:

I made this kit as per the back of the kit recipe. I used the kit yeast and it fermented out fine. It didn't give a very high carbonation though after bottling so not overly impressed. I got some bottles still that are about year old. Its real headache material just like its commercial counterpart if you drink to much so I know the alcohol is in the bottle (:

Although yeast is required to ferment sugars in order to carbonate a beer, they do not determine the amount of carbonation a beer has, the amount of fermentable sugars do.

If you want your beers more carbonated then you need to put more sugars in your bottles. i.e. if using 1 carb drop to 750ml bottle then use 2. Obviously depending on style but it is generally recommended using 2 carb drops per long neck and 1 per stubbie. If this still fail to satisfy then I recommend bulk priming.

Although yeast is required to ferment sugars in order to carbonate a beer, they do not determine the amount of carbonation a beer has, the amount of fermentable sugars do.

If you want your beers more carbonated then you need to put more sugars in your bottles. i.e. if using 1 carb drop to 750ml bottle then use 2. Obviously depending on style but it is generally recommended using 2 carb drops per long neck and 1 per stubbie. If this still fail to satisfy then I recommend bulk priming.

I used the usual amount. I use white sugar and one of those red measure spoons. I use the small end for 345 ML and the large for my king browns. I like that name king browns. I might use it a lot. [biggrin]

I used the usual amount. I use white sugar and one of those red measure spoons. I use the small end for 345 ML and the large for my king browns. I like that name king browns. I might use it a lot. [biggrin]

Yeah King Browns has some type of hook. Have you tried bulk priming?...

imo to bulk prime would be the best alternative when using different size bottles.

Sorry mate, I am not familiar with the spoon you refer to. I have seen them but never really bothered to take note of them as I keg and very rarely use sugars to prime a brew. Co2 is a different story. Hrrrmmm come to think of it, I have only ever used sugar once. [alien] Not only this but if you prime in a keg then you only use half the sugar you would if in bottles.

You may want to weigh how much sugar each end holds. I believe 8g should do a King Brown [biggrin] and obviously half that (4g) for a stubbie.

Archived