Coopers Community

Home Made Chimay Blue Kit

Trusty1

G'day,

I bought a Chimay Blue kit from a retailer online, and when it arrived, I realised I had most of the main ingredients already. So I did a practice run on Saturday with stuff from my larder. Went like this:

1.7kg Coopers Real Ale kit

1kg LDM

0.5kg BE1

40gms Motueka (or Amarillo, at work now and can't remember!)

40gms Hersbruker

(Both hops were added thus: 20@50mins, 10@10mins 10@flameout)

250 gms of Honey.

Made to 22L.

I didn't have a spare belgian yeast so I used amost 2 packs of Coopers gold packs.

No OG. Pitched at around 23C. Brewing @18C.

My query relates to the turbulence in the FV. I started the hop boil in a chux, but decided to liberate the beauties and let them free and just tipped it all into the FV.

After 24 hours the action in the FV (a Coopers DIY) was amazing. The particles of hops going crazy in the tub made it look like it was still on the boil.

IS THIS NORMAL?

PS

I know the recipe is missing stuff and has some variations, it is not an exact replica!

Thanks

I have a Chimay kit here i bought on Saturday which will go into the FV this coming Saturday. My reason for buying the kit was to get an idea of the ingredients being used for a clone and being a Chimay Blue drinker this was/is going to be a platform for me to improve on the brew and see how close i get to the original now and in the future. I am adding 400g of brown sugar to the batch which next time i will try belgian candi

My brew will be made up to 15litres and will give me about 9% Alc by volume, the yeast is Safbrew T-58 which is correct for Belgian ale styles and able to tolerate high alcohol volumes.I will probably try a whitelabs WLP500 Trappist Ale Yeast in my next one.

The turbulence in your FV is natural with the yeast being aggressive eating all it can as fast as it can.

Archived