Coopers Community

First Taste

After a long wait I just got to sample my first brew. Coopers Lager supplied with the kit using BE1. Laid down on September 11 and bottled on September 22. Cracked open a 375mm stubbie and it wasn't too bad but a bit malty and a 10mmm head. I was also surprised that there was no sediment whatsoever. Many here aren't a fan of the Lager or the BE1 so if this is the worst (and it gets better with age) then I am convinced that I can turn out some beer that I am really going to enjoy. Have a Pale Ale in bottles as well and a Canadian due for bottling over the weekend, both with BE1 unfortunately. However next up is the Draft kit with 2kg of light malt extract (couldn't get the Coopers can at Moonah). Going to Hobart on the Weekend to grab the Coopers Light Malt Extract for Brew 5 which is the TCS Heritage Lager.

Cheers

Scott

The recipe only calls for 1.5 kg of malt, I purchased 2 times 1 kg packs, as the home brew proprieter didn't stock the Coopers. I will take it on your advice Muddy and only add 1.5kg and ditch the rest. I am thinking I would like to add hops to the brew, I will keep looking for some inspiration!

Cheers

Scott

The recipe only calls for 1.5 kg of malt, I purchased 2 times 1 kg packs, as the home brew proprieter didn't stock the Coopers. I will take it on your advice Muddy and only add 1.5kg and ditch the rest. I am thinking I would like to add hops to the brew, I will keep looking for some inspiration!

Cheers

Scott

Just keep the leftovers in a sealed bag and use them next brew.

Scott, welcome mate, I live on the Eastern Shore. You should update your location here so people know.

My advice is get whatever you can at Big W and whatever you can't from Amanda at the LHBS in town. I personally have no faith in the shop at Moonah and they have provided me with wrong advice previously. Also I know Amanda keeps all her stock as fresh as possible.

I just did a Draught last Thursday. The recipe I used was:

1 can Draught

1kg LDM

250g Dex

20L

Kit Yeast

CC for 3 Days

OG 1044

FG 1007

ABV 5% for keg or 5.5% for bottles

OK, I'll keep the 500g.

I am now thinking this:

Coopers traditional draft

1.5kg light malt extract

300g Dextrose

I think a Draught should pack a punch of at least 5.5%

Scott, it sounds like you have DME or LDME not LME. LME is liquid and comes in 1.5kg tins. DME = Dried Malt Extract and LDME = Light Dried Malt Extract.

Scott, welcome mate, I live on the Eastern Shore. You should update your location here so people know.

Hey Bill

I live in New Norfolk. Went to Town today and visted LHBS. Purchased a new bottler, as the one I got from Moonah is the two handled model and there are suggestions that it may pull the necks off my stubbies. Also bought a can of Coopers light malt extract. The one I bought from Brew by You at Moonah is their own brand, yes it is liquid. I am using the Coopers LME with the TCS Heritage Lager and the BBY with the Draught. I hope that it is fresh.

I want to progress from BE1 to Malt and Dex, and later experiment with Hops, I may be able to drive up to Bushy Park and score some from Wife's rellies.

Cheers

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

Just had my second taste of home Brew but the first from a differnet batch. This one is the Cooper's Pale Ale. You can tell its a Pale Ale but you can also tell it has BE1 in it. However I am sampling this after a XXXX gold and even in thsi early stage it is way better than the XXXX. Interesting that the XXXX loses its head when decanted to a beer glass much quicker than the home brew. This may be the BE1, but there is also more activity in the home brew's glass. I have another tasting of teh Lager next week and then the Blonde. Still confident that this is going to be good.

• 2 weeks later...

Now sampling my third batch, Canadian Blonde two weeks in the bottle. Also sampled the the Pale Ale last night as well as the Lager. The Pale Ale and the Blonde rise above the maltiness of the BE1 (and should getter better), but the Lager still doesn't after 4 1/2 weeks in the bottle. Does this mean the hops in the can for the Pale Ale and the Blonde are more bitter? Going to try another Lager tonight after inverting the bottle several times.

May I ask why you are doing that? [unsure]

This may sound strange, but last night the first 2/3 of the bottle (640ml) tasted maltier than the last 1/3. Tonight tasted a little different but there is still a slight horlicks taste in the background. [surprised

Archived