Coopers Community

Understanding of sugars in brewing

Freestyler

Hi guys,

I'm new to brewing and have just started my second kit. Nothing special and no adjuncts, just the regular recipes. I'm keen to begin mixing it up for my next batch.

I want to check if my understanding of the sugars is correct and what they do/don't do. I understand the OG FG alc content formula, that's no problem.

Assuming that each additive below, if added exclusively and at the same qty, would the below be correct.

Dextrose - purely for alcohol content. Does not leave any sugars remaining for body, head, flavour etc. Leaves very low FG, almost 1.000

Maltodextrine - Does not ferment as low and dextrose, adds more flavour, body, head retention (will not leave a very low FG)

Malt - Similar to maltodextrine. I would think would ferment even less and leave an even higher FG?

Other sugars such as table sugar, glucose etc, would be the same as dextrose?

Would all of these give you the same OG if you added the same qty and all other things being equal?

Adding only 1kg total if using a combination of the above (as the brew enhancers) you effectively sacrifice alcohol content for flavour/body? So if you want the flavour/body you will end with a higher FG so would need to add additional dextrose to up the OG so that the difference is sufficient enough. I dont want 10% beer or anything but it seems that my first two batches are going to come in at 4% and I would like something on the 5% mark.

Sorry for the rambling above. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks again all,

Malt extracts, contain a variety of non-sugars and have a strong flavor component. LME has a water component and is less fermentable than LME which has as above also has non fermentable component so isnt as fermentable as Dextros or cane/beet sugars but per KG is more fermentable than LME.

Malto Dextrin is a combination of malt extract and dextrin and cannot be broken down by beer yeast.

table sugar is 100% refined sucrose

glucose/dextrose will ferment out completely, contributing more alcohol content than a similar amount of malt extract, and will lighten the body and flavor of the brew, it also ferments out faster.

Here is a calculator that you might find useful:

SG Calculator

There are assumptions made in these type of calculators eg. all the different brands of malt will give the same SG and different yeast has the same attenuation. But it should give you a ballpark figure to work with.

This should be in the Brewing Bleather. Nevertheless, the calculator Hairy linked to is a good one to give you a general idea. I suggest playing around with it to see what results you can come up with.

If I am after a quick easy beer I will throw in about .8 LDM and about .3 Dextrose and maybe a few hops on hand at the time. This will give a beer around the 5% mark.

You can use whatever combinations you like to suit your own tastes. However, I feel it is best to try keeping things in a reasonable balance.

I find the calculator would be good to mess about with but i wouldnt pay too much attention to what is coming up with for an OG thats for you and your hydrometer to decide. It does give you an idea of the difference between a KG of DME or LME and a kilo of Dex.

I better refrain from saying lactose is non fermentable, it is only fermentable by some wild yeasts but in general homebrewing is not.

Unless you're trying to make a Lambic I wouldn't count it as fermentable then.

Imagine leaving the lid off a wort in the middle of a Melbourne summer trying to get some wild yeast to attack it [alien]

Archived