Coopers Community

Scratches on DIY Beer fermenter (used once)

ShakeyD

Hi just noticed some scratches at the bottom of my fermenter which has only been used once. Just after some advice on whether you believe this is going to cause me problems with infection. I am guessing it was from stiring with the spoon supplied as when I cleaned it a used a soft sponge.

any scratched FV (reads heavily) is a cause for concern, however, if you are "keeping" it sanitary then the odds are you will get years out of it, IF you do however start to get repeated infections then think about the need for a replacement.. personally I rekon if they can get through the treatment I give the FV (Sodium Perc - Boiling water - Starsan) and then fend off the fearsome yeast I put in there and come out on top... well they can have the FV [lol]

Yob

Thank you all, once again answers straight away. Just love this forum. Off topic but tomorrow I am doing a Mexican Lager with the Ale yeast. Now with my temp controller set up should I start temp at say 20 - 22 then drop to 18 in a couple of days for the rest of fermentation or would be results be a steady 18 right from the get go. Thanks.

follow the yeast manufacturers advice is the best method[rightful]

US-05 for example - rehydrate in +/- 3'c 27'c water for 15 mins - stir - slowly add (every 5 mins) wort until the temps are the same as Wort and pitch right away -

this sort of method will lead to less yeast death/stress and a better ferment overall, best results, in my experience, come from brews with little to no temperature fluctuation in the early growth/ferment stage.

Raising temps toward the end is a whole other kettle of wass'is'names

Yob

Yeah this is where I'm confused, the manufacturer instructions seem a little wrong. I'm doing a Mexican Lager extract kit by T.U.B.S from Oz Brew. It says to first fill the fermenter with 10 litres of cold water blaha blah blah then to fill to the 22 litre mare using cold tap or fridge water?

Then it says to sprinkle yeast over surface and leave to ferment in a cool area (26C to 30C)

It says "your brew should be ready to bottle in 7 to 10 days if the temperature was maintained between 28C and 30C???"

I sent an email to the manufacturer asking if it is ok to ferment at 18 to 20 and they actually said that is the ideal temp? Just wondering why they didn't state that.

I normally add 2 litres of boiling water then fill to 22 litres with cold tap water hence why the instructions of cold water then cold water are confusing.

Perhaps them being a Northern Teritory company is the reason with their temperatures? Not sure.

The yeast I have says:

Y2 Yeast - Lager

A robust temperature stable yeast suitable for Lagers, Pilseners and Cervezas. Handles warmer climates particularly better than most yeasts.

Shakey.... that does sound too confusing. Especially when using a Lager yeast. Now just to confuse you a bit more sorry [pinched] Lager yeast is better fermenting 10C-13C and personally I usually do it at 11C-12C. Ale yeast is better at 18C and no way would I be fermenting Lager yeast at 28C+.

If you are sure it is a Lager yeast then I suggest filling your FV as you do normally and pitch your yeast at around 18C and bring the temp down to 12C over the next 24 hours or so.

My Fav brewing bucket is a 30 liter pail with clip on lid. Its 20 years old and covered in scratches and never fails to give a good brew. I sanitise well with both Iodophur and sometimes still use the old way of Sodium metabisulphite. No wuckas

If you are sure it is a Lager yeast then I suggest filling your FV as you do normally and pitch your yeast at around 18C and bring the temp down to 12C over the next 24 hours or so.

I would check before going as low as 12\xb0C as it may be one of those Californian Lager yeasts like Wyeast California Lager 2112 or Whitelabs WLP810 which do not like to go below 14\xb0C and can ferment at higher temps.

I would check before going as low as 12\xb0C as it may be one of those Californian Lager yeasts like Wyeast California Lager 2112 or Whitelabs WLP810 which do not like to go below 14\xb0C and can ferment at higher temps.

Although you have a valid point, I am guessing that the Y2 Lager yeast is a blend of their own yeast and nothing to do with Wyeast or Whitelabs. Linky Nevertheless, it does also state that it handles warmer climates better than most yeasts so it may be a blend and would suggest the higher fermentable temps.

Bottom line is if you have temp control get a decent yeast. At least then you know what you are doing.

Bottom line is if you have temp control get a decent yeast. At least then you know what you are doing.

sage words indeed +1

A decent yeast manufacturer will leave no doubt as to pitching/rehydrating/ferment temps with regard to their yeast

Yob

• 11 months later...

I had this exact same problem, used once and I see some scratches on the bottom of the fermenter. I seem to remember being as careful as possible, hopefully the Napisan then Starsan avoid infections. But this is a real pain.. seems weird we both got on bottom of FV since you think the side of the FV would be easier to hit.

Hiya ShakeyD.

Off topic but tomorrow I am doing a Mexican Lager with the Ale yeast. Now with my temp controller set up should I start temp at say 20 - 22 then drop to 18 in a couple of days for the rest of fermentation or would be results be a steady 18 right from the get go.

I assume you are using a Mexican Lager kit for this brew? If so, ignore any temperature instructions that came with that kit. I say this because you seem to be using an external Ale yeast that did not come with that Mexican Lager kit. Correct?

The Ale yeast will have its own temperature guidelines for what temperature range it is best to be activated. Follow the guidelines of the yeast when filling your fermenter to temperature.

When setting your temp controller, set it 1-2\xb0C lower than your fermenter start temp. I say this because when your Ale yeast fires up, it creates additional heat/warmth & can increase the internal fermenter temperature by approx. 1-2\xb0C.

If you are using an American Ale yeast for example, which works well at 18\xb0-22\xb0C, I'd set my temp controller to 18\xb0C.

I hope that helps.

Beer.

Scratches and scuff marks are inevitable. Being a clear plastic, the new DIY BEER FV shows up marks as more obvious. The old screw on lid type FV is opaque but scratches up just the same, if not worse - they are just not so obvious.

Simply stirring with the supplied spoon wil cause scuff marks.

Scuff marks don\u2019t present any issue to the quality of the brew.

Archived