Coopers Community

European Lager

PeterMac59

I added 1.5 boxes of Brew Enhancer 2 to increase the alcohol %, into the European Lager. On day two, there is no noticeable fermentation. The temp is around 21 c. There is no foamy top. The yeast has settled to the bottom. Did I do something to cause this non activity? [crying]

Is there any condensation? Has the gravity dropped? These are good signs of fermentaiton. You wont always have much foam.

Also, as the Euro lager comes with a lager yeast so you might want to try to get your temps dwon to around 13C (check your gravity first to see if it has dropped first).

Let us know what you find.

Thanks for the reply!

There is condensation but the gravity has remained the same at 40. I have just lowered the temp down to 13c. I'll check the gravity tomorrow, which would be day 4. Is there a chance of contamination if it sits for more than 4 days? Thanks again...

Good point Muddy. Euro Lager is a brew that likes it cold, i.e. a good winter beer. The yeast provided operates best around 13C and less, also takes maybe 2 weeks to ferment fully, rather than the expected 1 week. If you still have no activity (which will be unusual), immediately get down to your local bottle shop, purchase a bottle of Coopers Ale, pour yourself a glass (of course), and pour the remaining, cloudy contents into your brew. Bring the temps back up to the 20's, and it will ferment.

Keep in touch.

We've done four Euro Lagers now but have only tasted one.

I can verify PB2's advice which is to pitch the yeast at 24c and bring the temps back down to the mid teens over night. I pitched one a little cold and it didn't start to fire up for days. It tasted as it should at bottling (3 weeks) but I'm still a bit worried that it wont be as good as our first. We're drinking the first batch at the moment and it's up there with the best homebrews I've tasted.

[biggrin] Thanks for the advice. I've placed the brew bucket in a cold bath, 12c - 13c. I took another gavity sample and it's dropped from 40 to 20 so we're cook'n. No pun intended. In the future I'll brew the European Ale in January. I'll save on ice. Thanks again, Mates!

PeterMac59, if you are struggling to maintain the low temps then just make an effort to do it during the initial stage of fermentation where most of the fermentation takes place.

Don't worry if your temps creep up a bit in the later stage of fermentation; this will probably help clean up the beer a bit.

Allan, that's good to know. Fortunately, there's a cold front moving through and the temp should come down a little. We're offically in Autumn so the temps will become lower. I open for all contributions of ideas. This is only my 2nd try. Hmmmm, am I the only Yank on the forum? [wink]

Hey PeterM40, funny how you say - "In the future I'll brew the European Ale in January. I'll save on ice. Thanks again, Mates!" Here in the 'Land Down Under', I brew my European Lager in June/July, and brew my Ales in January. Cheers Mate, Gaz.

Archived