Coopers Community

Toucan combinations

MarkJ3

Just wondering if anyone has been playing around with different toucan mixes (apart from the stout/dark ale guys).

I've made a toucan Canadian blonde with no other sugars partly because i had a year old tin and wanted to compare coloration with a fresh one (slight visible diff - old one a bit darker).

Turned out pretty good, good level of bittering.

Has anyone been doing other toucans, would like to try and get a brownish ale, maybe by mixing a Real Ale or Aus Pale Ale with a Dark Ale?

Any ideas?

My 1st post so it may as well be on an old fav of mine.

In the mid 90's i used to brew 2 coopers stouts together and make them up to from memory to 18litres, nothing else added. I used to do alot of experimenting with volumes ranging from 15l to 20l and over 15yrs of brewing mainly stouts and bocks i had made some bewt beers.

Just back to homebrewing after getting an attack of the lazies and not doing any brews for a decade. Spotting a new DIY kit on special the other day for $70 got me going again. After i get this 1st lager in the kit under the belt i am doing a 2 can vintage ale (Australian Pale Ale and a Real Ale comb) then a 2 can stout mix. Big W has a special on so i cleaned up the shelfs of a few cans today.

Tony hi,

how did the 2 can stout's turn out? asking as i have recently put down my 1st 2 can stout with 1kg BE2+500gm brown sugar filled to 23L but very slow fermentation activity,

also have a milk stout wort bubbling away merrily and should be ready to bottle soon,

living up in Gove N.T. and trying to buy a good stout is near impossible and trying to get some Southwark Stout well i'd find the holy grail first i'd reckon,

if you have any stout recipe's you would share it would be much appreciated,

cheers Peter.

HI Peter

from memory it would have been fine as all my mates used to drink all my beer and i didnt hear any complaints. I did about 5 brew of this method of toucan stouts at 15 18 and 20litres from memory i liked the 18 better. I did one with some added hops which i remember set it off nice and one with hops liquorice and chocolate, that was an absolute killer of a drink, from memeory it was 20litres, i hardly ever brew at 23 litres but thats just me. I wish i had of kept the pages and pages of brewing notes i had, but its back to just flying by the seat of my pants for a few brews and just using the basics and getting my knowledge back to brew some killer stouts. Since those days the net has exploded with information and ingredients have become easier to hunt down.

At the moment i have over the past 6 months perfected some apple cider making, combined with the beer it should be a long hot wet summer.

Will gladly post any beers i brew or give the recipe via email.

I am wanting to do a Chimay blue and a St Peters Ruby Red as well

so i have a few brews on the plate but none in the fridge right now, although this home made peary cider is morish [innocent]

[lol] I made a toucan English Bitter a while back. I even added a shot glass full of dry Nettle 14g of Fuggle for 20mins & 14g Fuggle for 5mins. I think I made it to 25l of water. It's 8 months old now I'll have to try a bottle and get back to you.

The latest Toucan i have made is only fresh in the bottle so i haven't tasted it yet but i is very promising. It goes like this.

Campfire Porter

1.7Kg OS stout

1.7Kg English Bitter

200g Dex

14g cooper's ale yeast(rehydrated)

200g Smoked Malt

23L water

160g white sugar (bulk prime)

OG 1.054 FG 1.013

Chad

...two cans of English Bitter' date=' since that would come out at an immense 85 IBUs at 23 litres...[/quote']

You can allow for fermentation to drag out as much as 30% of the bitterness. Will still be very bitter, though.

A brewer brought in a toucan TC IPA and IS English Bitter for us to taste - it sure did pin my ears back [pinched]

I got a DIY kit for daddy's day, and mixed the lager kit with TC Irish Stout along with 250gms of molasses. Brewing nicely around the 18C mark, no volcano yet, which is dissapointing, I wanted to see the Krausen Kollar in action[roll] .

Other toucans I have done have include:

SMOTY - Great beer,

XSVA (with fuggles not NS) good strong beer, not rally a session beer, thoguh,

Canadian pale ale - Canadian Blonde plus Coopers pale Ale, not bad, think I put in extra 'sugar', which was unnecessary.

I think the Duvel recipe Paul posted was a toucan also, I made it more than 12 months ago, so it is a bittofa blur, and I'm at work! Maybe a couple of can blondes and 1.5kg of sugar!

While not really a toucan, I have also made a few Golden and Amber ales using a second tin of unhopped malt[rightful], which have been super. In fact i bottled another Amber Sunday night with Motueka hops.

Archived