Coopers Community

DME/Dextrose for Canadian Blonde & Australian Pale Ale kits?

JagC

Hi Guys,

Greetings from the U.K.!

I'm just about to order Coopers Canadian Blonde & Australian Pale Ale kits but unfortunately my preferred supplier doesn't have either of the Brew Enhancers in stock [sad] So I was wondering what quantities of Light Dried Malt Extract &/or Dextrose I should use with each kit?

Many thanks!

Steve

Welcome JagC!

Here is the make of the brew enhancers etc.

The sugar composition of Coopers Brewing Sugars are:

Light Dry Malt - 100% light dry malt

Dextrose - 100% dextrose

Brewing Sugar - 80% dextrose, 20% maltodextrin

Brew Enhancer 1 - 60% dextrose, 40% maltodextrin

Brew Enhancer 2 - 50% dextrose, 25% maltodextrin, 25% light dry malt

You can make your own blend based on those percentages.

Don't stress about brew enhancers JagC (I tend to avoid them myself).

A general rule of thumb I use when making the kits you mention (and most others) is to add 1kg of DME, 250-300g dex and some steeped Light crystal with a touch of carapils. I then add my hops of choice.

You can safely drop the steeped grains and just use the kit, dme & dex but the grains just take it to the next level and produce a fine looking head.

+1 to wat Muddy said but with an addition of wheat malt for my Pale Ales is the general rule of thumb so the recipe would look like this

Can CPA Goop

800g-1kg DME

200-250g Light Crystal (60)

150-200g Carapils

200-300g Dextrose

200g Wheat Malt

and for my favorite a mixture of Galaxy and Amarillo hops 10g of each as a hop 'tea' at the end of the boil and dry hopped 10g of each at about day 4 or after High Krausen activity dies off.

mmmmmmmm glalxy[love] (this beer is my current favorite)

Yob

Hi Hairy, Muddy, Yob,

Many thanks for your replies & info!

Think I'll go for 500g DME/500g Dex in the Canadian and 1kg DME/500g Dex in the APA. I'll leave the grains until next time! icon_wink.gif

I might try splitting the APA and dry-hopping ~10litres of it. Unfortunately Yob, the Galaxy hops seem to be unavailable in the UK. In fact most Australian/NZ hops seem pretty rare over here [sad]. I'll see how it goes in a couple of weeks.

Cheers!

Archived