Coopers Community

Sanitizer

shannonm3

Does anyone use or know where to buy starsan or a similar no rinse sanitiser?

A little off topic but it came to mind as today was brew day and I continue to be amazed by this product.

I use Starsan and swear by it. I get 15 Litres of RO (reverse osmosis) water out of the H2O to Go machine for mixing the starsan only. I mix up about 4 litres and store in a couple of plastic bottles and it lasts for ever almost. Even after many months it is still crystal clear and foams like a rabid dog. I use it over and over again and and it keeps on going on. I change it every 3 months or so just for the sake of it as it is surely good as new. One bottle will last for years at this rate.

Does anyone use or know where to buy starsan or a similar no rinse sanitiser?

A little off topic but it came to mind as today was brew day and I continue to be amazed by this product.

I use Starsan and swear by it. I get 15 Litres of RO (reverse osmosis) water out of the H2O to Go machine for mixing the starsan only. I mix up about 4 litres and store in a couple of plastic bottles and it lasts for ever almost. Even after many months it is still crystal clear and foams like a rabid dog. I use it over and over again and and it keeps on going on. I change it every 3 months or so just for the sake of it as it is surely good as new. One bottle will last for years at this rate.

+1

and never fear the foam [rightful]

I think you will find it says 5 gallons... anywhoo, 1.5ml per litre of water, grab a little Syringe from any pharmacy and away you go... I make up 10lt of the stuff now and put it in a 19ly big w pot and just take some out when I need it...

Yob

I do something similar.

I found I was wasting too much of the stuff before. I was filling the FV, then filling a couple of spray bottles with it and dumping the rest.

I have since made a batch and store it in a 5 litre container and use it as I need it. It should last ages.

RO (or distilled) water appears to be the key to long life of a mixed starsan solution.

Here is some info provided by Five Star Chemicals the manufacturer of Star San.

"STAR SAN

Acid Sanitizer for dairy and food-use surface sanitation.

____________________________________________________________________________________

\uf076 BENEFITS

\uf076 Broad Spectrum Bactericide and Fungicide

\uf076 Not Affected by Organic Materials

\uf076 No Rinse Requirement When Used at 300 ppm

\uf076 Accepted by U.S.D.A. as a General Sanitizer in all Departments

\uf076 DESCRIPTION

STAR SAN is a blend of phosphoric acid and dodecylbenzenesulfonic acid. This synergistic blend provides

a unique killing system that is unaffected by excessive organic soils. STAR SAN is also a self-foaming sanitizer.

It can be applied through a foamer to produce self-adhering sanitizing foam for external sanitation.

STAR SAN is also an excellent sanitizer for hand application. Sanitizing with STAR SAN on a daily basis will leave equipment in an acid condition that will eliminate water spotting. It is not recommended to use STAR SAN on soft metals because of the acid nature of this product.

HOMEBREW USE:

Thoroughly wash all surfaces with detergent or a compatible cleaner, followed by a potable water rinse before application of sanitizing solution. Prepare a use solution of 1 oz. of Star San per 5 gallons of tap water. Apply on surfaces with a cloth mop, sponge, spray or by a 5 minute immersion. For spray applications, use a course mist, with pump or trigger spray. Spray 6 to 8 inches from surface; rub with a brush, cloth or sponge. With spray, cover or remove all food products. For all applications, allow to air dry, however surfaces must remain wet for at least one minute.

Do not rinse after Star San application.

SAFETY

DANGER: Corrosive to skin and eye, contains Phosphoric Acid. Harmful if swallowed. Do not get in eyes, on skin or on clothing. Wear protective goggles and clothing when using. Avoid contamination of food. DO NOT MIX STAR SAN WITH CHLORINATED CLEANERS AS CHLORINE GAS WILL RESULT. Do not use or store near heat or open flame. See label for more precautionary information."

They say to use distilled water but normal water is fine. It just won't keep as long.

Store it in a cool dark place and it will keep for ages. When it starts going cloudy and changing color is when it is going off, so to speak.

Archived