Coopers Community

Too late to add more fermentables?

Mozavitch

A couple of weeks ago in a mad rush before I went away for work I put a sneaky batch down [ninja].

Brew was a "Green Neck Lager" as per receipe but accidently made to 23L not 21L [pinched].

A little disapointed with this

Currently I think alcohol content is approx 3.5%. I was hoping for something a little more beefy closer to the 5% mark.

Can I add extra Fermentables to adjust for the extra water in brew? Considering a bit of extra malt(possibly dextrose) and a dry hop to offset sweetness and keep it preserved.

Brew additions as follows

1.7kg Euro Lager

500g LDM

500g BE1

re-used yeast from Pilsner batch.

OG 1036

FG 1014 stable for 3 days

Original fermentation went off like a rocket before temp went down from 24 to 15ish over 24hrs.

Thought re-used yeast was issue so added the 7g satchel this week but no movement. then realised this morning after checking water volume that that was the problem.

It tastes like a mid-strength beer [annoyed]...not a belgian beer ....[biggrin]

Has anyone successfully added fermentables at such a late stage?

Hi Moza,

I agree with Sic. I think that if you bottle condition that batch it'll work out to be 5.2%ABV. I think your OG may have been a bit low for some reason. Temperature correction?

Anyways, I'd say it's done.[cool] Let it sit around in the carboy/FV for the recomended 14-21 days then bottle it, then wait for 4 months, then drink it![biggrin]

Chad

I thought there may have been an issue originally with the OG but cross checked a few times to make sure (and have done similarly with the FG).

It has to be the volume of water added which is affecting the ABV. I think I must have gone on autopilot when making it to 23L.

Has anyone got a calculator for extract homebrews which includes volume of water added?

As an aside I have no real issues with letting it sit for a further week or 2.

John, that brewing calculator implies that you had the correct reading to begin with. If you didnt mix the ingredient properly it wont give you the correct results.

Other calculators use the amount of fermentables to do the calculating and are normally close aslong as your yeast hits the FG it suggests.

Well, thanks for the caculators it seems something must have happened with the original reading. Those calcs indicate that the euro lager should end up around 1015 so it means the brew is in the ball park. Think I'm used to the lower FGs of the ales and started to think it had not gone the distance.

I'll give it a day or two then bottle.

Cheers

Moz

Archived