Coopers Community

Radler, or a strawberry blonde??

FraserH

Oh k chaps I have a question,

Im wanting to make a beer like the Monteiths Radler or another beer similar to a strawberry blonde made my Mikes Organic Brewery

I know alot of you aussie chaps may not have had these beers but here in nz they are quite readily available.

If anybody knows how to make them or maybe put me onto someone that does know it would be much appreciated.

Im going to make another standard lager while I sort out these beers so Im not in a great hurry .

Safe drinking to all

Isn't a Radler just beer and lemonade or some other cordial as such?... in Aust. we call them a "Shandi".

You could brew something like a Pilsner and when it is conditioned just add a little lemonade or lime cordial.

Hrrrmmmm I'm not sure if you are 100% correct to tell you the truth and I believe the Radler actually started in Germany.

HERE is a link to the Wiki article on Radler and as quoted....

"The Radler ("cyclist") is a Biermischgetr\xe4nk (beer-based mixed drink) with a long history in German-speaking regions. Consisting of a 50%/50% or 60%/40% mixture of various types of beer and German-style soda pop or lemonade, "

The following is quoted from Monteiths website:

"Monteith\u2019s Radler\xae is a refreshing, fruity, lemon and lime-flavoured lager inspired by a drink first served up in Bavaria in the 1920\u2019s by Franz Xaver Kugler, the owner of an Austrian Gasthaus. In search of an invigorating brew, he developed an easy drinking lager bier with a citrus twist \u201c\u201d flavoured with lemon and lime \u201c\u201c which was the perfect treat for the many cyclists (\u201cradler\u201d in German) and mountain hikers who visited his alpine guesthouse.

Radler\xae recreates the experience; it\u2019s a lager beer, brewed to full strength at 5% alcohol by volume, with distinctive hoppy notes. The beer is brewed with a small amount of natural lemon juice, giving it its refreshing zesty citrus finish.

Monteith\u2019s Radler\xae has a level of residual sweetness to complement the added lemon juice. This combination provides balance and a degree of complexity to the flavour mix. Radler\xae is only lightly hopped to ensure the bitterness character does not dominate the flavour.

After a hard day\u2019s work (or a hike on the mountains), the refreshing citrus taste of Radler\xae will go well with fresh crayfish or a nice light spring salad. Or you could match it the German way, with spicy sausages, cheeses and fresh bread.

Monteith\u2019s Radler\xae has an original gravity (OG) of 1049, alcohol content of 5% and a final gravity of 1010+. Radler\xae is only lightly bittered but this, along with the citrus tang, provides the beer with a finish that is clean, crisp, slightly drying yet totally refreshing.

RADLER\xae is a registered trade mark of DB Breweries Ltd in New Zealand."

Edit: I am a bit slow when I'm at work to post. [roll]

No over here its called a shandi also but the beer im meaning has a slight ginger aftertaste, its very much a summer beer that doesnt have the strong malt flavours

Ginger aftertaste??? Radler has a citrus finish....it has lemon (lime?) used in the brewing process, and is not overly malty...a really nice way to finish off a hard working summers day! Think it's around 5% alcohol from memory.

Their Summer Ale is another nice "summer" drop which uses spices and honey to gets it's flavour...

Monteiths was once a great little "West Coast" Independant brewery (Greymouth - South Island) until they sold out to DB .....now unfortunately it's "too" commercial [crying]

As a side note....if you can track it down, try "Invercargill Brewery's" Boysenbeery brew.....it's pretty damn good - and something I'm trying to replicate at home in Chch...

ChrisMack

He he...quite funny....been reading a few "drinkers" reviews on this "bier" and a lot note the "ginger taste" - I have to admit it has been ages since I've had Radler - maybe I missed something, and/or I just cant recall the ginger taste!

Oh well, good luck with your quest to replicate this beer...

Actually, just thinking my current brew (being a Miller Clone) could make a good base for a radler clone, you would simply need to figure out what % of lemon is required and sweeten the brew somewhat (maybe add a hint of Ginger as well [biggrin] )

Damn! - I might give it a go in the future!

ChrisMack

Isn't a Radler just beer and lemonade or some other cordial as such?... in Aust. we call them a "Shandi".

You could brew something like a Pilsner and when it is conditioned just add a little lemonade or lime cordial.

Yeah, that's what a real Radler is, but for some reason Montieths decided they liked the name and use it for a full strength beer with lemon juice added to the wort. It bears no relation to a real Radler.

Archived